Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Water good and keep them cool

+6
Arcticsun
blackdove
KathyS
Prairie Chick
Sultan
appway
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Water good and keep them cool Empty Water good and keep them cool Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:43 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here in Saskatchewan We are having a big Heat wave today is 29 and the rest of the week it is going to be 31 to 33 a couple of the days
Just a reminder to make sure your animals have cool water and a place to get outof the sun
And lets not forget our Poultry as they like cool fresh water a nice area to co where it is cooler I also spray down my runs a bit to help keep them cooler
everyone try and stay cool
just a reminder

2Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Sultan

Sultan

yah, hot hot hot. I let my chickens out today and they ran right for the nice big cool hedge. I also froze a block of water and put it in the drinker so it stays cooler.

3Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very good advice Joe and Sultan, it is very hot today and getting much hotter this week... 38 with humidity...eeeek!

Poultry also love watermelon or frozen grapes.

4Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:56 am

Sultan

Sultan

yah, i've tried the watermelon. But the frozen grapes never tried that, i will try it out today. They also like strawberries.

5Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good reminder. I can't believe how much water mine are going through this week, it seems I'm hauling water pails continuously! Its so important not to let them run out!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

6Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:08 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Frozen grapes. What a great idea!! Cool

7Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I put raised tarps over the tractors to help keep them cool. I cant believe how hot it is, 32 degrees here!!!!
affraid

8Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:54 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

9Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:27 pm

sosweetjojo

sosweetjojo

Mine are so hot even in the shade they seem to be panting.. Ive used ice cube tray to fill with goodies like apple sauce and yogurt and even some raisins in water then freeze them. Its so funny watching them try to get the raisin out of the ice.. i even did smoothies for the them then froze them in the ice cube trays .. The best tho was the frozen blue barries they ate them whole and frozen most of them quit panting. Also watermelon that was chilled in freezer for about an hour. Ive misted and ive run cold water on the ground for them to cool there toes. My 3 day old chicks are telling mom to take a hike with her very hot breast... we dont need you today mom.. they got a fan set up for them.. Im just lost as to what else i could do for them.. Short of bring them in the house so they too can sit by the air conditioning. Twisted Evil

10Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:12 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I set up a sprinkler that covers a corner of both the chicken run and the turkey run. No one runs through it but most of them hover around it and peck at the wet ground. They like drinking from the little puddles of cold water.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11Water good and keep them cool Empty Re: Water good and keep them cool Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:40 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My goodness, for once we're hotter than you guys on the prairies. We're having an abnormal heat wave of 35-36 degrees for at least a week. Average temperatures are normally 29 this month. And we just came out of a very cool, wet June just 4 days ago. I've got fans in the coops and sheets covering the front of their outside shelter to give them shade into the evening. It's crazy here.

We call it 'Global Wierding'. Abnormal is normal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum