Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Easter egger thing

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Easter egger thing Empty Easter egger thing Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:53 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

I have a white Wyandotte cross hen that lays pale blue/green eggs.
What breed MUST she have in her to get those eggs?
OR do some birds just lay different coloured eggs?

http://LynBarRanch.com

2Easter egger thing Empty Re: Easter egger thing Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ameraucana and araucana chickens both lay blue eggs. The araucana is a "rumpless" breeed and I don't know if this trait would show up in a cross breed. My guess would be that your wyandotte cross has some ameraucana in her. I believe that there are some game birds that lay blue/green eggs as well but I wouldn't think they would be as common as the Ameraucana. The green shade comes from a blue egg covered with some brown pigmentation, I understand. Just my thoughts.

3Easter egger thing Empty Re: Easter egger thing Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:18 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

One of your bird's ancestors was either Ameraucana or Araucana.

Rumplessnes is a single gene and could easily be lost two generations along. Blue egg colour is also a single gene, so it's the luck of the draw whether an offspring gets it.

4Easter egger thing Empty Re: Easter egger thing Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

ipf wrote:One of your bird's ancestors was either Ameraucana or Araucana.

Rumplessnes is a single gene and could easily be lost two generations along. Blue egg colour is also a single gene, so it's the luck of the draw whether an offspring gets it.

WOW, that is really amazing. My daughter reminded me, we had an Ameraucana rooster (Freddy Froo-Froo)back about 5 yrs ago. We had crossed him with layers, then in turn must have produced a roo to cross with the white Wyandotte.
Very neat. AND this is the first time at coloured eggs.

http://LynBarRanch.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum