Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have the Amprol... Now what?

+7
Country Thyme Farm
Grandma Art
ChicoryFarm
CynthiaM
Dan Smith
Hidden River
Schipperkesue
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty I have the Amprol... Now what? Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

What is the dosage? How much goes in the water?

The directions seem to ave a proportion for treatment for 5-7 days then maintenance 1-2 weeks after.

Thanks!

2I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

http://www.uccma.com/vetrinary/antcoccdrug/Ampoliumhcl20.htm

According to this you would do about 4.8 ml/4 L of water. I know I do a bit more at 10 ml/gal and it seems to work well. I do it for 7 days minimum to ensure they are completely over it then if you want you can do a maintenance dosage if they are not on medicated feed.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It works out to 3 1/2 tablespoons per 5 gallon bucket of water but I fill it closer to the top and put 6 tablespoons in it. That is the strength for treating and then after 5 days if you had a bad case then you can reduce treatment to 1/4 strength which is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon bucket for the next week or two. This is the recommendation on my jug.

4I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

OK, so this is most interesting. After hearing of cocci outbreaks I thought that I should go to the vet and get some amprol, just to have on hand. Not many vets carry it around here, but the Creekside vet clinic in Vernon did. So I went for a little trip, about half an hour away, and wanted to go to Superstore anyways, so it was a good day, smiling.

when I had used amprol, which I had purchased at the Pharmasave in Cloverdale, back on the coast when we lived there, it was just, put in water and give to the birds. The receptionist had talked to the vet and told me there was a dilution method. Shocked. Well, what...the....bling...bling...I thought it was just straight into the water, she said no and brought out the big 4 litre jug and looked at the instructions. She entered the mixing data into the computer to print on a label for the container for me. This came right off the jug and it is on the 250 ml container I have, which cost me $14, which I thought far too reasonable, but it is what it is. This is what was charged.

I have no reason to use the amprolium right now and it does not expire until 2015, so will hang around my chicken hope chest in the event that I ever need it. I do not know if amprol comes in different strengths and do not know why there is an indication to dilute and mix the way the instructions say, but this is what I do now know and I will type it out for anyone that would like to know. wonder why this dilution is mixed like it is, compared to just putting the meds into water. Anyone know? I would be interested. Hope this helps anyway, have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

This came directly off the label on the big Amprol jug, still don't understand why the continued treatment of 1-2 weeks at a more dilute amount. I was always under the impression it was only for a few days. And that was that. No further treatment at a diluted rate. Anyone else have instructions on their jug of Amprol they would like to type out. I would be interested to know why this is different than I know how to use.....pleeeeze, input required.

What the label says:

AMPROL 9.6% per ml

TO MAKE 0.024% FOR 5-7 DAYS:
Mix in a 2 litre container:
5 ml Amprol to 25 ml water
Mix solution
Add water to bring up to the 2 litre mark

CONTINUE treatment for 1-2 weeks at 0.006% solution
1.25 ml Amprol to 25 ml water
Mix solution
Add water to the 2 litre mark

5I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:37 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:OK, so this is most interesting. After hearing of cocci outbreaks I thought that I should go to the vet and get some amprol, just to have on hand. Not many vets carry it around here, but the Creekside vet clinic in Vernon did. So I went for a little trip, about half an hour away, and wanted to go to Superstore anyways, so it was a good day, smiling.

when I had used amprol, which I had purchased at the Pharmasave in Cloverdale, back on the coast when we lived there, it was just, put in water and give to the birds. The receptionist had talked to the vet and told me there was a dilution method. Shocked. Well, what...the....bling...bling...I thought it was just straight into the water, she said no and brought out the big 4 litre jug and looked at the instructions. She entered the mixing data into the computer to print on a label for the container for me. This came right off the jug and it is on the 250 ml container I have, which cost me $14, which I thought far too reasonable, but it is what it is. This is what was charged.

I have no reason to use the amprolium right now and it does not expire until 2015, so will hang around my chicken hope chest in the event that I ever need it. I do not know if amprol comes in different strengths and do not know why there is an indication to dilute and mix the way the instructions say, but this is what I do now know and I will type it out for anyone that would like to know. wonder why this dilution is mixed like it is, compared to just putting the meds into water. Anyone know? I would be interested. Hope this helps anyway, have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

This came directly off the label on the big Amprol jug, still don't understand why the continued treatment of 1-2 weeks at a more dilute amount. I was always under the impression it was only for a few days. And that was that. No further treatment at a diluted rate. Anyone else have instructions on their jug of Amprol they would like to type out. I would be interested to know why this is different than I know how to use.....pleeeeze, input required.

What the label says:

AMPROL 9.6% per ml

Mix solution

Mix solution

These are the directions I have as well Sue.

6I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia, your directions are more in keeping with the directions on my bottle, only my bottle gives amounts in percent and yours are much easier to use. The bottle says:

9.6% solution Amprol

Give 0.024% amprolium in the drinking water for 5-7 days
Continue 0.006% amprolium medicated water for an additional 1-2 weeks

My math skills to effectively figure out how to dilute 9.6% to 0.024% are seriously lacking but your vet's instructions sound accurate.

7I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Sodium Sulfamethaxine vs Amprol ?? Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:48 am

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I have on hand a 4 liter jug of Sodium Sulfamethazine that I purchased at
the local UFA for under $40.00.
the label says
Poultry - To control outbreaks of Caecal Coccidiosis, infectious Coryza. and
secondary bacterial infections associated with outbreaks of diseases like CRD caused by organism susceptible to sulfa drugs. Also to treat Acute Fowl Cholera and Antipestifer Disease in ducks.
It is labeled for Poultry, Turkeys and Chickens, ducks, cattle, and sheep.

how would this compare to the Amprol?

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

8I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:13 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Cynthia, your directions are more in keeping with the directions on my bottle, only my bottle gives amounts in percent and yours are much easier to use. The bottle says:

9.6% solution Amprol

Give 0.024% amprolium in the drinking water for 5-7 days
Continue 0.006% amprolium medicated water for an additional 1-2 weeks

My math skills to effectively figure out how to dilute 9.6% to 0.024% are seriously lacking but your vet's instructions sound accurate.

Ya I know. The receptionist used the calculator to figure out the correct dosage, and put it in the computer to print on the label, so it is correct. 0.024 is 5 ml and 0.006% amprol is 1.25 ml.

I am sure that her bottle said exactly the same as yours. Good to know eh? Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

9I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Grandma Art, that drug is also used, I have heard it is good. What I didn't like about it was, the instructions said

16 ml to 4 litres
Treat for 2 days
Stop for 4 days
Treat for 1 day
Stop for 4 days
Treat one more day

I found that the instructions were hard to work with. Trying to keep track of so many days off and on for me is a daunting thing. I prefer to use things that are simpler and amprolium use seems just more easy. I do not personally have any experience to say which is a better drug, but both amprol and sulfamethazine both work, from what I have heard. You may hear more responses, information is power. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

10I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:40 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Cynthia, the reason it has two different dilution rates is that the first is to control the large population of cocci in the chicks system during an outbreak, most of which will starve out in the 5-7 days. Then, the lower concentration is just to keep the cocci population down while the bird recovers. Otherwise, since the chick has a compromised immune system it could just get reinfected again.

The reason it has you add to the two litre mark instead of just pouring it in the drinking water is to make sure you don't accidentally over dilute it again by pouring it into, say 5 gallons of water or something.

I'm surprised it doesn't tell you to do the mixture per x number of chickens though...it should.

http://countrythyme.ca

11I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:OK, so this is most interesting. After hearing of cocci outbreaks I thought that I should go to the vet and get some amprol, just to have on hand. Not many vets carry it around here, but the Creekside vet clinic in Vernon did. So I went for a little trip, about half an hour away, and wanted to go to Superstore anyways, so it was a good day, smiling.

What the label says:

AMPROL 9.6% per ml

Mix solution

Mix solution
Hi Cindy, Your mixture is the same rate as mine but mine has been converted to imperial because I am old school so I use a tablespoon which equals 15ml and the reason that I don't mix 2 liters is because that would not be near enough drinking water for my birds for a day so I treat all when I treat and I use 5 gallon buckets which makes it easy. So for a 5 gallon bucket you add 45 ml for those of you who like metric and I put a little more because I fill up the 5 gallon bucket past the 5 gallon mark and that is why I put 3 1/2 or 4 tablespoons in. If you notice your instructions also say to reduce to 1/4 strength for 1 to 2 weeks after the initial 5 to 7 days. Sorry I think that I said 3 to 5 days which is confusing it with antibiotics. I thought that I read somewhere where it said for stubborn cases treat at reduced rate of 1/4 strength for following week or two but as I read the label again it says to teat at 1/4 strength for 1 to 2 weeks and says nothing about stubborn cases. So we are all talking the same strength and mixture only using different languages. I paid $117.00 per jug plus tax which brings it up to about $123.00

12I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Amprol/Corid-V Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I bought my Amprol (It had Corid-V on the label) for $17.75 US $$$ plus postage for a 16oz bottle (16 US fluid ounces is about 473.18 mL.)I bought it from ARCATA Pet supplies. I have used it twice in the past year. It has been a life saver...really.

13I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:58 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[quote="CynthiaM"]OK, so this is most interesting. After hearing of cocci outbreaks I thought that I should go to the vet and get some amprol, just to have on hand. Not many vets carry it around here, but the Creekside vet clinic in Vernon did. So I went for a little trip, about half an hour away, and wanted to go to Superstore anyways, so it was a good day, smiling.

Totally off topic...but number one good to know Creekside has it. I was almost going to order a jug. A gallon was $80 I think. Vets cost which I thank my lucky stars is a staff perk!! But a gallon is alot unless anyone in the area wanted to split it up I could order and split it up. Like you said better to have on hand just in case.

Second - way off topic...my roommate from tech school and still one of my closest friends is a tech there. Only 3 days days a week as she has little kids now too but she's there. Probably hiding in the back!

Next relavent poster please........

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

14I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My gallon (3.8L) was $140.

15I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote: Not many vets carry it around here, but the Creekside vet clinic in Vernon did.

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:Totally off topic...but number one good to know Creekside has it.
Second - my roommate from tech school and still one of my closest friends is a tech there. Only 3 days days a week as she has little kids now too but she's there. Probably hiding in the back!

Ya, I phone every vet that I knew and they all thought I was on glue, smiling. Don't other animals get coccidiosis too, not only livestock? I thought it was a dog issue and a rabbit issue and a......whatever. Not isolated to poultry and livestock. Maybe a different product to control cocci in dogs etc. is used. I was kind of shocked and very annoyed cause I had to then get out the phone book and start calling. Surecrop has the gallon jug of Amprol, but it was like $116 or something like that, I certainly don't need a gallon, ya, as you said Fuzzy, could have split it up and helped others, but just didn't want to spend that kind of mooola. Oh well.

Dan, I am still old school. I use the metric system mostly now and am almost converted, still have a bit of trouble with the temperature part though. I like the metric system. It is SOOOOO much more accurate with measurement, and easier for too surely. I still toggle between metric and imperial though, like with still referring to teaspoon and tablespoon and cup and gallon and pint and half pint and quart Laughing . Now I really am laughing, this was funny. Don't ask me why I laughed at myself, maybe today's gonna be a good day. For surely, that sun doth shine and me soul warms!! Have a beautiful day everyone, CynthiaM.

Did anyone ever see that show with Oprah Winfrey in Chicago when we was on stage. The Black Eyed Peas (think that was the group), sang, “I got a feeling” "today's gonna be a good day" (or was it "today's gonna be a good night", can't remember) and the whole crowd got goin'? It was one of the most profound things I have ever seen and I think I saw Oprah say some bad words, cause she was so overwhelmed with amazingness about what was going on in the crowd .(the fbomb, smiling, one of my favourites, oops, did I say that, that was my inner voice Embarassed )

I am going to put the link in here so others can go and see Oprah and a good, good day!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aSbKvm_mKA

16I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What the label says:

AMPROL 9.6% per ml

Mix solution

Mix solution
Thanks for posting an Avain Vet in Vernon.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

17I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Armstrong Vet clinic also has a lot of stuff that can be used for chickens too. I have purchased medication there as well. Glad this could help you, have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

18I have the Amprol... Now what? Empty Re: I have the Amprol... Now what? Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:My gallon (3.8L) was $140.

affraid OMG

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum