Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Multivitamin to follow Amprol

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Multivitamin to follow Amprol Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi everyone,

Golly, I miss being on here as much I like to be. Look forward to more time later this year to participate more. Here's my question of the day..........

In a few days my birds will be off Amprol (having treated for Coccidiosis) and I understand it depletes them of certain vitamins. Does anyone add some kind of a vitamin supplement for awhile after treating with Amprol and if so, what's it called, where do you get it from and for how long to you give it to them? Also, Smile does anyone know what vitamin deficiency they lack in particular from the Amprol? I heard vitamin K was one of them.

Thanks so much!

2Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Poul-vit is the one that comes to mind, I use it for the new hatched chicks, it is at your feed store. Think that is a good idea to give them an extra boost.

3Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:10 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Chickee. How long do you think I should give it to them for? I do have some and believe the directions are for day old chicks and to give for 4 days only.

4Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice to see you around Chicory! Smile

I use Poul-Vite as well. (Peavy Mart sells small packages for $4.99) I’d give it for the four days, the same as for chicks. I really don’t think it could hurt anything.

5Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No it won't hurt them, same as us taking a vitamin everyday, I think I will start using it a bit more, I have cut down a lot of the layer ration and going to grains, the vitamins should give them what they need.

6Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Another one is Electrvite which replaces electrlights as well as vitamins and minerals. I am not sure if Amprol depletes vitamin K. I kind of doubt it because it is pretty important and would be on the label telling you to give lots of vitamin K immediately. When your body is depleted of vitamin K you bleed to death internally because vitamin K is what gives you the clotting factor and the green rat and mouse poison called Parafin actually depletes the vitamin K in the rodent and that is what kills them. By bleeding to death internally. When giving vitamins I give every 2 or 3 and maybe 4 days not every day. I don't want to over load them.

7Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:29 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds good. I have that too Dan but already started them on the poulvite. I wish I could remember where I read about the vitamin deficiency with Amprol and sounds like I'm wrong about the vitamin K but I know I read something about depletion in general either from the Amprol or the disease itself......

8Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:21 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I treat with Vit E in plain yogurt with live culture. There has been some very good articles in Feather Fancier about this treatment following Cocci treatment

9Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:32 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

liz wrote:I treat with Vit E in plain yogurt with live culture. There has been some very good articles in Feather Fancier about this treatment following Cocci treatment

What's Feather Fancier liz? And I would give yogurt if I had given antibiotics but Amprol is not an antibiotic (at least that's my understanding). Do you treat with a sulfa product or Amprol?

10Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Feather Fancier is a Canadian newspaper in which you can subscribe to online. I receive it in the mail every 8 weeks. I use Sulfa when treating for Cocci. Sulfa will also treat some resp.bacteria as well. Often when they are run down from cocci they can come down with a resp. as well. There is already Amprol in the med. chick starter. I have been warned about toxic levels of Amprol when is is in the food plus in the water.

11Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Liz where do you get the Vit. E, in what form, I have only seen it in capsules.

12Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I purchase Vit E 1000iu in capsule form and I cut the capsules and mix it in the yogurt.

13Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks liz. I'm going to start a new thread about Amprol vs. Sulfa. It's confusing for me as I've heard what you're saying about the overuse of Amprol, given it is in the starter feed but the sulfa is not recommended for laying birds, at least not the sulfaquinoxaline 19.2% and it has caused me more concern as I try to make quick decisions for my birds.

I appreciate everyone's input.

14Multivitamin to follow Amprol Empty Re: Multivitamin to follow Amprol Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:14 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great, will have to make a trip to Red Deer, I take one everyday and am out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum