Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Male or Female

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Male or Female Empty Male or Female Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Does the sex of a LSG dog matter? Or do males and females make equally good guards?

2Male or Female Empty Re: Male or Female Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is this question for me in light of my problems?

The male I have is louder and barks more. He also is more inclined to wander in spite of neutering. The bitch is quieter and did not wander...at least until the storm. She is faster and more deadly.

3Male or Female Empty Re: Male or Female Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it is whatever people have experienced.
I was told that a female tends to stick closer to her stock than the males. But that if you have a larger area that males were better because they could cover more ground? Not sure.

I strongly believe though that if you get a male to get him fixed, then you wont have the hormone issues getting in the way of his work. Same with a female.

My hubby is against fixing the males, and I strongly disagree but have never won the battle. My FIL got a guard dog that was fixed and he does an excellent job, so strongly reccomend fixing whichever sex you get.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Male or Female Empty Re: Male or Female Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:54 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not greatly experience with LSG dogs, but I do personally prefer a bitch over a dog. I find them more serious, mature earlier and I also believe what Sue says, more deadly! People always seem to think that males are stronger and more assertive but our females, even though often smaller, are a much larger force to be reckoned with. They don't start it but they sure finish it!!

5Male or Female Empty Re: Male or Female Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:06 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, my question is kind of moot now. I just found out there are only males left avaliable.

As far as fixing goes, it would be done ASAP. There are more than enough hormones going on with the young humans in my house. I do'nt need any more!

6Male or Female Empty Re: Male or Female Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 pm

My male Maremma didn't hesitate to chase a bear off a couple of times, and once a couple of bears!! He is fixed, as I believe every animal with a job should be, unless that job is breeding. He sticks home, is not aggressive with my other pet male dog, and doesn't approach visitors with anything nearing territorial issues.

Having said that, I have not had a female LGD. I guess my answer is meaningless isn't it? Smile

7Male or Female Empty Re: Male or Female Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 am

Sebas49

Sebas49

I've raised German Shepherds most of my life and found the following differences between males and females. It's probably natures instinct but male dog tend to protect the property or their territory more then females. Females will protect their stock or family more. If you want protection for yourself or the adopted family females will kill to protect, where a male will kill or chase away anything that comes within it's territory. I find females dogs more protective and deadlier.

Only my experiences with Shepherds.

http://www.c-rducks.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum