Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Splay leg and chilling... Is there a link?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Splay leg and chilling... Is there a link? Empty Splay leg and chilling... Is there a link? Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last night I had an accident in the brooder. Somehow the water tipped and when I got in after my chores I was greeted by the frenzied cheeping of cold wet chicks. Poor things. Well I grabbed my hair drier and popped everyone in a fresh brooder and got to work drying and warming them. Within minutes all were warm again and by bedtime all were dry.

I checked in on them this morning and found I had only lost 3, but... There are a handful now that are splay that weren't splay before! Could there be a connection between chilling and splay legs? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I know there is in Turkeys !!!

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Really? What have you experienced?

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I know if my Poults get chilled at all, it goes to the joints and they get splay legs. I can help new hatched poults get strength but older poults that get chilled never seem to get over it.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, the Houdans seem to splay if you look at them sideways. I have helped this issue by actually dropping my incubation and hatching temp, but now it seems I will need to consider my brooder as well.

Sometimes they will begin to splay as older chicks. Last year I was wondering if they had a bout of Mareks but I sent the chicks out quite early and now I wonder if this was the problem.

Interesting that just one breed would be hyper susceptible to this.

Has anyone found other breeds that seem to be more susceptible to splay legs?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum