Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mixing broodies with chicks together

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mixing broodies with chicks together Empty Mixing broodies with chicks together Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:59 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have four broodies each with chicks that are about 2 weeks old now. Right now they each have their own tractor or kennel with their babies, but I need those now for my ducklings and turkeys.

Is it OK to put all the broodies and chicks together in a coop without other chickens? Will they hurt each others babies? What about with other chickens?

2Mixing broodies with chicks together Empty Re: Mixing broodies with chicks together Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would love to hear the experience of others with this. I have cochins that rear babies, side by side, but they have never been actually "away" like you have the mammas separated. This could be dangerous, or it could be just fine. I am thinking though, that by two weeks old the mammas are not as protective of the newly born babies. Perhaps by now you could move them to the same area. Seriously. By this age, the mammas are still protective, but the babies are so much more "out there" and not as needy of mamma, that they might mingle really well. I had two buff orpington gals that raised babies side by side, but segregated by poultry wire. I was worried about fighting. But one day the door was ajar a bit and one of the mammas got out with the other one and the babies and there was not a stitch of any hassel. So I think that when the babies are not requiring the massive protection that a broody mamma must provide for her babies, you should be fine. Why don't you try putting a couple together at a time, that way you could intervene, but I think it should be OK as they are older. Let us know how things go. I would very very interested to hear. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

3Mixing broodies with chicks together Empty Re: Mixing broodies with chicks together Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the mood of the mums at the time. An in my experence, they're just as fierce after a couple of weeks as they are at the beginning - maybe even more so!

Last year I had threee bantam cochins, a mum, daughter and grand-daughter, each with her own clutch of chicks. Since Cochins are generally so gentle, we put them together in a big (60' x 30') run. They were ok for a few days, then started scrapping; we'd separate them, and things would be ok again for a while, then they'd go back at it - none of the three would ever back down. One day I came home to find the oldest had been dreadfully beaten up - her head was all bloody and both eyes were swollen shut. She's made a complete recovery, but it was slow.

Interestingly, I have another hen who seems far fiercer, but she does't have prolonged battles - she confronts fiercely, repels all invaders, and then retreats back to her own family.

Now we have smaller (15' square) runs for each mum, and never keep two mums together.

4Mixing broodies with chicks together Empty Re: Mixing broodies with chicks together Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I suspect the mothers will squabble, bicker and fight, but at 2 weeks old the chicks should be old enough to get out of the way. The little ones can get trampled easily when they are not quick enough. I would make sure they have as much room as possible if you decide to do it.

5Mixing broodies with chicks together Empty Re: Mixing broodies with chicks together Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:48 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yes, I forgot to mention - the chicks are usually fine, at any age. In the old days we kept the broody with the main flock, and seldom had any trouble. BIGGEST problewm is the mums fighting and hurting each other.

6Mixing broodies with chicks together Empty Re: Mixing broodies with chicks together Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:59 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

They can have one side of my coop which would be 10x10. I am thinking about putting the two silkie moms together in there. They are pretty relaxed about motherhood it seems.

The others - and ameraucana and a silkie/BO cross- are a different story. There is no putting your hand in their pens even to grab the feeder for a refill or you might lose it.

I might try it but will have wait until Friday when I can be around for a while to watch the goings on and break up any major battles.

7Mixing broodies with chicks together Empty Re: Mixing broodies with chicks together Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have broody partridge chants that were hatching out together in same coop, but One was a week behind the other. Somehow a few chicks ended up under the later hatch momma, and now she's ready for babies! I went in this morning and they had switched nests, except that the hatched momma was quite upset that the other one was stealing her babies. No fighting though. I moved the late hatch over to a small pen to avoid more mixups.

I have another partridge chant hen that has accepted babies almost two weeks younger than the rest of her brood. No problem at all, just sneak them under her at bed time.

When I think of moms together, I imagine a lot of baby stealing, but I guess as long as someone takes care of them...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum