Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

On leash poop pick-up.

+6
BriarwoodPoultry
rosewood
heda gobbler
Fowler
Schipperkesue
uno
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1On leash poop pick-up. Empty On leash poop pick-up. Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Around here you see people walking their dogs along the sidewalk and many people go with baggies in hand and when doggy squats and poops, they bag it up and take it home or toss in garbage. I have to really hand it to the people who have taken the steps to rid our streets and sidewalks of this by-product, which unlike several barnyard poops, has no redeeming quality, even if piled and aged.

As I was driving along and saw a person bag and knot a little package of poo the thought occured to me: never, not once in all the years that I have taken a dog to town on a leash, has my dog squatted and crapped. My dogs don't poop on walks because my dogs poop HERE, at home, where all dogs should poop. It occured to me that while poop scooping is good, it points to a bigger problem, people who have trained their dogs that the place to poo is OFF their own property. For many in-town dog owners, the whole point of a walk is an opportunity for the dog to go to the bathroom. My dog does his bathroom thing BEFORE being put on leash. We keep our poop at home.

This brings to mind another slightly related thought, diapers. When we had a baby in diapers and were at someone else's home we NEVER tossed a dirty diaper in anyone's garbage. We took our dirty diapers home with us and dealt with them here. Reason being that often people who do not have kids in diapers do not change their bathroom garbage frequently. And a dirty diaper hiding in the bottom of a garbage can for a week or more can cause frantic concern as a home owner searches, nose first, for the source of that ghastly stench! We felt it was our responsibility to inflict none of ourselves on other people if we could at all avoid it. So we never tossed a diaper. If our kid made it, it was ours to deal with. At home.

Which brings us back to dogs and people who walk their dogs for the sole purpose of poo happening while the dog is on leash. I think this points to bad social conduct. If a dog accidentally poops once in a while on a public sidewalk or grassway, that can be forgiven. But many of these scoopers are repeat offenders who would rather have the dog poop on public property than do it at home. SO while scooping would seem a social nicety, I think it covers a core societal disease that will eventaully erode this country and leave us open to foreign invasion and perhaps complete take over. Or not.

Does anyone else think this in-town habit of removing a dog from your property so it can poop, is kind of dirty and obnoxious? We used to dog sit for people and twice a day we walked the dog so it could poop usually on someone else's lawn! Why can't a dog be given a small, deisgnated poop spot at home on the lawn, which the owner can scoop and clean? Just seems to me the more civilized option. Random thought...I get them...I can't help it.

2On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Wed May 30, 2012 6:52 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I lived in an apartment with my first dog. We had to go out on public property to poop.

I don't believe most people take their dogs off property for the sole purpose of pooping, but I applaud those who go for a walk and are prepared in case poop happens. Once a dog starts moving it often does.

My dogs prefer to poop on their own property, but then they have lots of room to do so. Sometimes they refuse to poop elsewhere and this can be a problem when I travel with them, especially to dog shows.

Don't be too hard on those off proplerty poopers, Uno. Their living circumstances may be different from yours.

3On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Wed May 30, 2012 7:39 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I lived in an apartment with my first dog. We had to go out on public property to poop.

Both of you???? Wow!

Dogs are animals that poop in public and you're supposed to pick it up. After a week of doing this, you've got to ask yourself, "Who's the real master in this relationship?"

Anthony Griffin

On my block, a lot of people walk their dogs and I always see them walking along with their little poop bags. This, to me, is the lowest activity in human life. Following a dog with a little scooper. Waiting for him to go so you can walk down the street with it in your bag. If aliens are watching this through telescopes, they're going to think the dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?

I say, if this is where we're at after 50,000 years of civilization, let's just give up. I'm serious, let's pack it in. It's not worth it. Let's just say the human race as an idea didn't quite work. It seemed good at first, we worked on it for a long time, but it just didn't pan out. We went to the Moon but still somehow wound up carrying little bags of dog doody around with us. We just got mixed up somewhere. Let's just give it over to the insects or whoever else is next in line. - Jerry Seinfeld

4On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Wed May 30, 2012 8:56 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

So true - watching someone with a couple of Great Danes walking in the city I think "is it really worth it?" And what do the dogs think?

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Wed May 30, 2012 9:27 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you drive through the newer areas of Kamloops the lots are so small there isn't room for a dog to have a poop. Our neighbours have 10 acres, but their dogs come over at night while ours are shut up in bed and do their thing. Another favourite activity is to chase our cats across our deck in the middle of the night. At least the people walking their dogs with a baggie are responsible owners.

6On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't know what happens with horse poop downtown where you live, but I know that the carriage horses at Sun Peaks have a canvas bag fastened just below the tail.

7On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Wed May 30, 2012 3:49 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here, when Horsey Teen used to ride her horse to town and it plotzed...little old ladies would run out and scoop it up and toss it on a rose bush! I kid you not. SHe was actually told that her horse could poop on the street infront of several houses any time horse felt the need. Besides, in a few days horse poo dries up, breaks apart and mostly blows away on pavement. Not so with dog poo. No one wants to throw that on their roses.

8On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Wed May 30, 2012 11:31 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hm...

I get the diaper in friend's garbage thing, but I could care less if someone's dog poops on my lawn and the owners thoughtfully and responsibly remove it. I do not appreciate dogs crapping on "not their lawn", and the owners yawning, looking away, walking away and pretending it never happened. I also find the habit of male dogs urinating on everything to be gross, and preventable.

Some things to ponder.. in the city dogs can not get the exercise they often need on the postage stamp sized yards they have, so they are walked. As easy as it is for us to time our schedule along with our morning coffee, when a dog has to go, they go. Older dogs are not far off older humans - when the mood strikes, LOOK OUT! And, sometimes (like with humans) it takes a good walk to get the bowels moving. Dogs have habits, if a dog was raised in an apartment it will probably feel most comfortable pooping on it's daily walk rather then in the yard, because that's what it's used to. My dog prefers to do the do on landscaping pebbles, as her first backyard was landscaped and that's where the dogs did their thing.

Not all dogs live in a place that has a suitable sized backyard, and it's nice to see humans walking them, rather then neglecting their needs and allowing them to become obese due to inactivity. People who don't live in the city often have a hard time with this concept, and I have seen many rants about people who wish that dogs would be left at home rather then allowed to walk the sidewalks. I really disagree with this logic (if you can call it that), and find it akin to asking folks with children to not bring them to stores, or restaurants. I've encountered far more unpleasant children in public then I have dogs, but I would still never say that kids should be left at home.

I guess I just don't get the need to judge folks who walk their dogs, whose dogs might poop, on lawns that aren't theirs, when they are even responsible enough to have their sh!t together! Razz

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

9On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 8:49 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Whether it appears that dogs are in charge or the human, it matters not. What is important to know is that all friendships require sacrifice's. Author ...Dan Smith not Jerry Seinfeld.

10On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What I really find alarming, is your obsession with poo. Whether it be horse, Chicken, or dog, you seem obsessed with it. Digging your hands in horse poo. Writing detailed synopsis' of your thoughts on matters that should stay in the toilet.
And I thought I had a dirty mind.
I'm really starting to worry about you.
Now excuse me while I take my dog on a quad ride to go crap in the park....

11On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 7:06 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote:

As long as he's there, you should let your dog crap too.

12On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Fowler wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:

Very Happy Crap...this just keeps getting funnier and funnier. Uno, you need a scotch or something. Chill OUT, baby!! Jeez.

I'm with Briarwood. Don't judge until you've walked a mile in their shoes, poop in hand. Razz

13On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:

He only goes at home as well...

14On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:

Uno nothing, Fowler, I think you are the one with an excrement obsession...or perhaps the obsession is with grammar! Were you an English teacher in another life?

15On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

16On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ow! My eye!

17On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Ow! My eye!

WHO FLUNG DUNG!?

Sue - hope you don't get pink eye Sad

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

18On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it was an occurrence when it hit the fan! I have had pinkeye so may times I think I am immune!

19On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Thu May 31, 2012 11:52 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think you all have trouble not being a bit obsessed with the whole poop topic! Laughing

If dogs have a choice they will not go 'in their own backyard'. They prefer to go out of area to do their business if given the choice. Ours hold it as long as they can, they know what time turn out usually is, and then they run and go bush to get rid of it. We have one that will not go in his kennel if he can help it. The others do, but go in the back corner, away from where they 'live'. When they do get lose for their run, they never go in the house yard or area, but out in the bush above the hay field just out from our place.

Just the way they are in nature. Wild canines would never go close to the den or their direct living area if they could help it.

Ok, back to the poop flinging, just give me a minute to get out of the way.........

20On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:33 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Fowler wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:

Uno nothing, Fowler, I think you are the one with an excrement obsession...or perhaps the obsession is with grammar! Were you an English teacher in another life?

No English teachers but I'm afraid most of my family is like that. Even today, I find my defenses up in reflex from the years of cousins trying to set each other up for zingers. I might have someone asking me about my chickens say, "Are you going to breed them?" and I'll automatically answer, "Nah, I'll let the roosters do that."

Words are a plaything with me. - Tom Smothers

21On leash poop pick-up. Empty Re: On leash poop pick-up. Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:05 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought Tommy Smothers used a yo-yo as a plaything. Yo Yo Man.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum