Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

stupidity and paint

+2
Bowker Acres
uno
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1stupidity and paint Empty stupidity and paint Sat May 19, 2012 1:20 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Under the heading, things NOT to do in your bator.

Do NOT mark chicks by smearing a glob of wet paint on their head and then putting them back in the bator. While a glob of wet (water colour, non-toxic) paint on the head works as an identifier for a short time, it makes a MESS in the bator! As chick plows around headlong into all other eggs and sides of the bator, he makes it look like a one eyed grafitti artist with one arm in a sling was going crazy in your bator. If you think egg gunk is hard to clean out, try rubbed in paint!

Paint globs on head have worked for me as temporary markers. But as chick fuzz comes out, so does your paint and you have to reapply often. Then everyone else wants to peck at what the other guy has on his head. THen everyone has mouthfuls of green, blue, pink and yellow paint. Then the water dish gets really interesting looking and messy. So while paint works, in a way, it's far from the perfect system. But whatever you do, keep it out of the bator!

2stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sat May 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have never had to mark chicks, so this may be a little stupid sounding. Instead of paint, have you ever tried the colored permanent markers? That shouldn't bleed into the water and dry fast so you don't get it everywhere. I wouldn't think that a couple swipes on a chick's down would be toxic. Probably would not work on darker colored chicks though.

3stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sat May 19, 2012 2:30 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's black chicks that are the problem. I might give up marking them. THe inside of my bator is a smeared, green mess.

4stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sat May 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Laughing ......you never cease to amaze Uno ,Try putting the color on the legs instead ,or the feet ?

5stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sat May 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

uno wrote:It's black chicks that are the problem. I might give up marking them. THe inside of my bator is a smeared, green mess.

A friend of mine uses nail polish to mark her queen bees so she can find them easily when she is working in her hives....

I am imagining little Uno chicks with painted toe nails!!

6stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sun May 20, 2012 6:06 am

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I supoose food colouring wouldn't show up on black chicks ................

7stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You know I wished I had thought of this when I was doing my Fine Art Degree. I could have daubed paint on chicks and had them wander around on a bit of canvas and submitted the resulting canvas to a show - would have just won prizes everywhere for that, especially if I gave it a existential sort of title.

"Life out of the Egg" or something like that...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

8stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sun May 20, 2012 9:03 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:You know I wished I had thought of this when I was doing my Fine Art Degree. I could have daubed paint on chicks and had them wander around on a bit of canvas and submitted the resulting canvas to a show - would have just won prizes everywhere for that, especially if I gave it a existential sort of title.

"Life out of the Egg" or something like that...

lol!
You never know, this could be the next big thing!
Uno, here is your chance for fame and fortune. Line your hatching tray with canvas!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

9stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sun May 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

On a side note, when are those Darwin awards getting handed out? Rolling Eyes

Just kidding Uno, but you do come up with some good ones! LOL!

10stupidity and paint Empty Re: stupidity and paint Sun May 20, 2012 9:36 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey! It ain't easy being smart! When all I wanted was to be good looking. BUt noooo....I had to be the brainy one! Life is so not fair!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum