Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Livestock Spray Paint

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Livestock Spray Paint Empty Livestock Spray Paint Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Quick question... There's a spray paint you can get at feed stores indicated for Cattle and pigs, however I've seen it used on sheep and goats for marking and numbering purposes. Can this also be used on chickens?

I was thinking I could use it as a good grouping tool if I could spray it on the back of their neck's where they have a tough time cleaning.

Thanks!

2Livestock Spray Paint Empty Re: Livestock Spray Paint Thu May 02, 2013 11:30 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Why would you want it on the back of their necks? It's only used for identification on sheep, cattle etc.

Just wondered?

3Livestock Spray Paint Empty Re: Livestock Spray Paint Fri May 03, 2013 5:39 am

Quick identification for sale purposes Smile

4Livestock Spray Paint Empty Re: Livestock Spray Paint Fri May 03, 2013 7:04 am

Colored twist ties around one leg ? Paint might put someone off ?...just my thoughts

5Livestock Spray Paint Empty Re: Livestock Spray Paint Fri May 03, 2013 7:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Often people spray their culls. If it is for your own ID and you are not selling show birds, i can see it would be very useful.

6Livestock Spray Paint Empty Re: Livestock Spray Paint Fri May 03, 2013 7:45 am

The coloured zips are fine for breeding lines (which I have done, red are the chanty group, blues are the bantams and so on), however not excellent for quick identification in the dark when the girls are sitting down and hiding their legs.

My hope is to have a quick glance around the coop with my flash light and be able to see there's no more brightly coloured, hot orange/pink/green birds and know I got them all.

Last year I marked my auction birds with green zip ties, missed 6 birds =/

I considered using blukote because I know its chicken safe, but I thought if people see blukote they might assume the bird is injured versus neon green or whatever spray paint there'd be more understanding.

Will it show up on black feathering and is it safe to use on birds (the spray paint), as long as I don't like... spray their face.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum