Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bought a cool old Elna! 1943!

+3
rosewood
Bowker Acres
Schipperkesue
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Sat May 19, 2012 7:19 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

For those of you that don't sew, an Elna is a Swiss made sewing machine.  I have my daily sew-er as an old 1979 Elna, totally mechanical, no computer shops or cards.  It does a straight or zigzag stitch, buttonhole and many little disks will create fancy stitches for you.  You can also embroider freehand.

Well yesterday I took the old gal for a tune up and realized I would be out of a machine for half a month.  Had to go all the way to Edmonron.  They can fix a tractor but they can't tune up a sewing machine around here.  So I started to think, wouldn't it be nice to have another old machine as a back up.  I brought up Kijiji and there they had it, an old Elna Grasshopper!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It works perfectly so now I have a machine and a spare!  Isn't it cute!

Last edited by Schipperkesue on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Sat May 19, 2012 11:15 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That grasshopper is the machine my mom taught me to sew on. It belonged to her mom. I wish it was still in the family, it worked great. My ex BIL, thought it was a piece of junk and threw it out when my sister had it. It took my sis another three years to figure out who to throw out!

3Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Sat May 19, 2012 2:28 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you go a few photos over there is an old Singer my mother's. She did teach me to use it at one point in time, but I likely was more interested in drills, saws and hammers. My wife's machine is a Husqvarna she brought with her from Holland and had the motor changed for North American electrical systems. On occasion she has had to get her sister to buy parts in Europe.

4Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Sun May 20, 2012 7:04 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

coooool

5Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Forward, backward, zigzag...this is how quilts are made. I expect to see your next projet, SoSewingSue.

6Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bump!

7Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

now I know what the bump thing is for :-).

Sue I clicked on that link and get a photo sharing site but no grasshopper :-(.

8Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The other post has pictures.....but I updated my picture!

9Bought a cool old Elna!  1943! Empty Re: Bought a cool old Elna! 1943! Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is so cute! Great find!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum