Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

container grown gourd

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1container grown gourd Empty container grown gourd Wed May 16, 2012 6:22 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Has anyone done this? Grown a gourd in a container? OR grown one of those decoarative gourds at all?

I am intrigued by those gourds that you grow, dry and make bird houses out of (and other decorative objects) and despite having no sun (too many trees) I want to try and grow some gourds.

Was reading about people who buy a bag of growing medium, slice it open, plant the gourd in the bag and the plastic bag of growing medium acts as the container. Okay. A feed sack full of horse manure is a bag full of growing medium, is it not? If placed in the sunniest area I can find, why would this not work?

THe seeds are soaking right now, I realize they require a long growing season and I am fairly late getting this started. Seems most folk start their gourd seeds indoors. But I would love to hear if anyone else has tried this, how well the gourds did, if they dried and if you made anything out of them!

2container grown gourd Empty Re: container grown gourd Wed May 16, 2012 6:26 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a pack of seeds I bought a few years ago...every year I dig them out and never plant them...good idea though.

We are throwing all our pumpkin seeds in our horse poo pile and letting them go wild. The best pumpkins we ever had were from an old one that got throwin in the pile. The next year we had two plants randomly appear and by fall 17 pumpkins. We will see how it goes!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

3container grown gourd Empty Re: container grown gourd Wed May 16, 2012 7:06 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

i almost always have grown gourds ever since they were "my" thing in the garden when I was a child.
And always put them directly in the garden and they grow....
Bag of poop sounds good, but horse is a little hot, maybe mix it with cow or just some regular dirt, apparently if it is well aged maybe ok?
If you pick sunny spot should work good, I sometimes put mine in between the corn rows and they climb up the corn stalks.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4container grown gourd Empty Re: container grown gourd Wed May 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Uno, if you like, I have 2 very large nicely composted poo piles that I was going to chuck some seedlings in/on, and you could add your gourds. I'm not going to water or guard or defend them, but if that suits you, I can guarantee they will get all the sunlight and nutrient they can handle.

I will be home on and off tomorrow, and of course you can come for the bonfire extravaganza tomorrow evening and you and I can sneak off and do things with the poo pile when nobody's watching. Shocked

5container grown gourd Empty Re: container grown gourd Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

FarmChiq, your promise of a late night rendevouz on a pile of poo is tempting...you know my weak spots!

Just have to say you look good for 29! I shall keep this offer in mind as I mull over my gourd possibilities. Thanks!

6container grown gourd Empty Re: container grown gourd Thu May 17, 2012 8:18 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think poo will do just fine. Every year I grow a massive pumpkin patch on that years fresh poo pile. I find the vines love the heat emitted from the pile, and the leaves will actually turn upside down on cold mornings in search of the heat from the pile.

7container grown gourd Empty Re: container grown gourd Thu May 17, 2012 9:04 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:
I will be home on and off tomorrow, and of course you can come for the bonfire extravaganza tomorrow evening and you and I can sneak off and do things with the poo pile when nobody's watching. Shocked

How very paganistic of you. Very Happy Make sure you keep your clothes on or you will have people in the area thinking you are witches and they may start planning a burning! Laughing

8container grown gourd Empty Re: container grown gourd Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Right, Coopslave...Ghastly Gourd Girls dancing on the poo pile under the cover of darkness. Now that I think about it, it might be more fun than folding laundry and mopping the floor. But no one will become unclothed, we have a pretty serious mosquito population in this area, nudity is NOT an option! What a Face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum