Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting a Couple new breeds

+4
Prairie Chick
CynthiaM
rosewood
appway
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Getting a Couple new breeds Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:12 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I guess I am getting a few White Chanti's
and also some White Leghorn Bantams
Regular comb and also some rose comb
They are from a Line that is about 50 years old I will post the line when I find out the name for sure
and I am not sure if they are going to be chicks or Older as of yet
was just excited and wanted to tell someone that would listen

2Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:27 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is exciting to get new livestock. After not being able to get Freedom Rangers this week we decided to go back to a couple heritage breeds that are meaty. We ordered some Delawares that were the original broilers before 1950, some Dark Cornish and some Red Laced Cornish. We added some Black Cochins pullets and some Gold Laced Wyandotte roosters to the order. A bigger incubator is now in the plans because we are going to raise our own meaties.

3Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:26 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice to hear that you are getting some more birds, smiling. Rosewood, breeding cochin to wyandotte makes a massive bird, smiling. I know, had a cockerel from that mating, glw roo over a black cochin hen. Good luck with things. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

4Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:43 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats, i have been debating about Chanties. They are a wonderful breed and so hardy but where does a person draw the line...Hahahaha

5Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Exactly. I struggle managing two breeds well (one is White Chantecler - you'll love them!) I CANNOT take any more breeds.

Congrats Appway - does this mean you'll be building more coops?

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

6Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:11 am

la-chicken

I too, have added a breed- New Hampshires

Always thinking, always planning.
I am glad I am not alone.
Congrats!

7Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:44 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You are going to be busy Appway!! Smile

8Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:48 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Susan wrote:You are going to be busy Appway!! Smile

Just a few of each so not to bad cant wait to start getting and hatching EO eggs so I can get real Busy

9Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hope they start for you soon!

10Getting a Couple new breeds  Empty Re: Getting a Couple new breeds Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:39 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am really happy with Chanteclers, they are kind of high strung when young, but settle down in nice birds that produce eggs like the dickens and are hardy and a pleasure to have. Hope you enjoy your new breeds. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum