Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

pop hole sizes

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1pop hole sizes Empty pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I need to know how large to make the pop hole for turkeys. I will have red bourbons, royal palms and nicholas whites. Thanks

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I made mine 2ft Square, seems to give them lots of room to get in and out of.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 pm

?? Pop Hole ?? I hate to ask but are you refering to a box for brooding ?

4pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:?? Pop Hole ?? I hate to ask but are you refering to a box for brooding ?

A pop hole is a "Chicken/Turkey" door. (at least that is what I call them.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Learned something new then ! never heard of it being called that .......thanks for clarifing

6pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you asked prairie dog, i was wondering what it was also Embarassed

7pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

pop hole is the official name for a chicken door or turkey door and most likely the duck door, for that matter.

Now ya know!

Last edited by ChicoryFarm on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

8pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is what I have always called the door as they just pop out of them at you sometimes!! My gobbler seems to think it is funny to come flying at me out of the building he is in but the pop hole is quite large, so in building my brooder/grow out coop wanted to find out a good size

On a side note my Tom is not being aggressive when he flies out as he will avoid me at all cost just comes flying out mainly to see what is going on in his pen.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

9pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Come to think of it most of my flocks also pop/fly out of them in excitement every morning as well.

10pop hole sizes Empty Re: pop hole sizes Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:21 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, I've always wondered why it is called a pop door, heard of that many times. I call mine guillotine doors, smiling. But it is such a long word to say that I call it a pop door, so much easier to say. Mine are actually quite small, I should get a picture one day. It is amazing how small a doorway chickens really need to get out, keeps larger things from getting in too, smiling. In my main house, I have a larger pop door, a turkey could easily get in in summer, but not in winter, as wintertime I have a piece of wood that covers more than half the hole, only one bird out at a time, although I have seen them try to squeeze two out at a time, blockage Shocked . Summer I open that wide up with removal of the wood, gives more ventilation, closed more in winter, keeps it warmer. The door to those lift up and off, have a handle, I'll try to get a picture one day. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum