Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turkey Chicks Dying ??

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Empty Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:04 pm

So I have been incubating turkey eggs (chicks ) for sometime this year and it seems like I am at about forty percent in keeping them alive ! Some die within three days ? some are a week or two old and perfectly lively one day and dead the next ! I put in the proper medication into the water ,make sure that the water isn't cold ....warm water so they don't shock .Turkey starter with a bit of chick starter ( they are together with chicken chicks ) They are warm ,and dry ! And yet everytime a new addition pop's out I get this feeling that it won't last long even though they are lively and fully alert ! I don't get it ,and I need to figure it out because I'm getting turkey chicks from Potters in about a month or so ..............any Ideas ???

2Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Empty Re: Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:13 pm

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Turkey poult need a warmer temp than chicks and a higher protein in there food. I would take out the chick starter and give just the turkey starter for them, chicks will be fine with just turkey starter. I don't use medication in the water just a little sugar for the first day or 2 depends on how fast they drink the water.
If you have the breeding stock of turkeys and it is your eggs that you are hatching add more protien to their food. Hen scratch will boost the protein as well and should result in a healthy turkey poult. I always add more protien to my breeding stock even if it is chickens or turkeys. Healthy stuff going into the egg to hopefully produce a better healthy bird at the end.
Hope this helps, draft free and warm good luck.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

3Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Empty Re: Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:34 pm

High protein feed for the poults , was told that in the first few days chick starter is fine ,I only add it once or twice a week ( and only about one fifth of what they get in turkey starter ) .Warm and no drafts ( brooder is in a heated garage so temps stay very consistant .I don't buy into the inbreeding thing as some do ,nature has a way of dealing with that by herself .I like the electrolites in there water ,keeps them stronger I think

4Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Empty Re: Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:17 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

prairie dog wrote:High protein feed for the poults , was told that in the first few days chick starter is fine ,I only add it once or twice a week ( and only about one fifth of what they get in turkey starter ) .Warm and no drafts ( brooder is in a heated garage so temps stay very consistant .I don't buy into the inbreeding thing as some do ,nature has a way of dealing with that by herself .I like the electrolites in there water ,keeps them stronger I think
Sounds like things should be just fine then with no problems. I would not call electrolites medication which is what I thought you had written down. Electrolites is about the same as putting the sugar in the water something to purk them up.
I to do not inbreed with my turkeys. But adding more protein to their diet will put more protien into the egg which is were a turkey pout will get their energy from after they hatch.
Don't know if anyone else has any ideas for you. Other wise I would say your doing just fine.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

5Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Empty Re: Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 am

Well we'll see ,I have two more that have hatched and are very active and cirpping up a storm and so far all's well ! I just hate looseing them after all that time and effort to get them hatched !

6Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Empty Re: Turkey Chicks Dying ?? Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:18 pm

chickenjo

chickenjo

I would separate the turkeys from the chicks.. I have talked to many people who have had much better live results from keeping them apart. Some don't and have no problems. But many times it is just something in the chicks that seems to make poults sick. My mom always kept them separate and had much better results than my uncle who kept the turkeys and chicks together.. He would always lose half. They both did everything else the same.. That was the only difference. Hope you get more turkeys.. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum