Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medicated and Non-Medicated Chick Starter and other stuff.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So, I have quite a few chicks (about 150) and I started them off on Medicated Chick Starter. The chicks Range in ages between 2 1/2 weeks of age and 4-5 weeks. There are a mix of my own chicks, hatchery (cochins, RIR, Meaties and Turkeys).

I thought because I had so many chicks going that it would be best to give them Medicated Chick Starter, just in case. (If it were just a few of my own hatched I probably would have just given them non-medicated.)

Anyways, The fist week and a half or so they got straight up medicated. Then had to get more feed, but the feed store only had 2 bags of Medicated, and wouldn't have any more feed in for the next week and a half or so. So we got the two bags plus a bag of Non Medicated. Well, I mixed the last bag of medicated with the non-medicated to get us through until the next shipment of food came in. We went in yesterday to pick up more feed, and there was only one medicated bag of feed. So we bought that, and some non medicated.

I'm going to mix the last bag of medicated with the non-medicated the just switch over to Non Medicated, because I think the mixing of chick feed is not good.

The feed store is telling us they don't get much in because no one uses medicated chick starter.

I have to admit that I'm a little upset, and scared that my chicks will get ill. Will this mixing and switching over of starter make them ill?

Also, I've been adding in some Electrovite to their water to give them a boost, because I noticed that some aren't doing so hot, and I heard a few sneezes. I think this is from my husband unplugging one of the heat lights and them getting a little cold. I pointed this out to him, and he leaves them on now. But I'm scared that this will make them more susceptible to illness and coccodiosis.

I was thinking of adding some Teracyclin to the water, but because there are meat birds and turkeys, I was hoping to avoid using antibiotics.

I am getting low on the Electrovite, and I see that they feedstore doesn't have any of that either.

Will antibiotics harm the turkeys? They all seem fine, but I don't have space to separate them right now. I do have the meaties separated from everyone else, as they are piggies and poop so much.

Just a little frustrated right now...

And really? Am I the only person out there who wants to use medicated chick starter? Is is such a bad thing to give your chicks?

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I start all my turkeys on Medicated Turkey starter for 6 weeks, just about a must for turkeys, Guineas and Peafowl

http://www.popscoops.com

If it were me I would not be adding any antibiotics to them unless I knew for sure that what I was treating would benefit from antibiotics. So, unless I know what I'm fighting, and unless I am sure that each bird will get the correct dose per day for the correct amount of time, I would not use antibiotics.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks.

I was hoping to avoid using antibiotics. I don't like having to use them if I can help it. But the Electrolyte-vitamin mix is just about gone and the feed store doesn't seem to have anymore. They just have a vitamin-antibiotic mix powder.

I was thinking Apple Cider Vinegar, but I have metal waters so can't put that in them.

Will it be harmful to have mixed and switched the Chick Starters?

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

I'm sure someone with more knowledge can help with that question.

If you think it would get there in a reasonable amount of time I'd be happy to mail you more poult-vite or whatever it is you're using. I would have to do that Tuesday morning. Or Greyhound. Let me know.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is funny but the same thing happened to me this year. My regular feed supplier is only carrying non-medicated chick starter because so many people are choosing to go more natural. He is getting in some medicated feed for me, but in the mean time I've been buying and using the non-medicated. Last year I was brooding some chicks for a lady who specifically requested they they NOT be fed medicated, and had a hard time finding some. This year it is opposite!

The medication that prevents coccidiosis is Amprol, so giving them antibiotics as a preventative measure is probably not going to help prevent this disease, nor is it really a good idea. Save the antibiotics for when you must treat something that requires their use. I am going to switch my chicks back to medicated as soon as I can, and hope they haven't lost any resistance they might have built up...

The feed store owner did also say that turkeys should definitely be fed medicated starter. So it would be a good idea to source out some for your young turkeys at least.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Silkie, I will speak only to one part of your plea here. I absolutely and 100% use medicated chick starter on my started chicks. BUT...now hear this though. When I have incubated chicks that are raised away from the actual coops (not far away, just an adjacent room to the big henhouse, which houses a lot of chickens), I will always start on medicated. I do this because I think it is a good thing, I have read many things about use of medicated and non-medicated. I have NEVER once (well, about 4 years ago, lost 2 youngsters to coccidiosis, and they were hatchery chicks, vaccinated for this dreadful disease) in my entire time of raising hundreds and hundreds of chicks, lost even one to coccidiosis. I attribute this to using medicated chick starter. I am seriously 100% in favour of this and always will use that for the first few weeks of life of incubated chicks. now I stress INCUBATED chicks.

When the mamma hens are raising chicks, I DO NOT use medicated chick starter. I start them on regular chick starter. I think with them being in the area that has all the chicken stuff, that this builds up a natural immunity to coccidiosis and other things. Period. Period. I do not use medicated chick starter on anything other than those that are raised in the incubator.

This is my plan, my plan has not changed in over many years and it works. Medicated for those fuzzy butts that don't have a chance to build up a natural immunity quickly, non-medicated for those that are with mamma, building up natural immunities really quickly. I'll say it again. Medicated for incubated chicks. Non-medicated starter for babies raised by mammas.

I hope that you find solace in what you are asking. I would think that if you are mixing the medicated with the un-medicated that this would still be fine. I am 100% for medicated chick starter, but dependent on the situation. Good luck girl. Coccidiosis is a clear and present danger. I know that there are many natural remedies that claim to prevent coccidiosis, but I am just a little lazy and know full well that small doses of amprolium (the active "drug" in medicated starter) will certainly prevent outbreaks of coccidiosis in the flock. Again, have raised hundreds of chicks, nary a case of this dreadful malade. Have a beautiful day, girl, CynthiaM.

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

I don't use medicated feed for my birds unless they get sick. last year I had one batch get Infectious Bronchitis and switched them to medicated feed and it cleared right up.
I sorta treat medicated feed like I would antibiotics I don't want them to build up an immunity to it.
kinda like giving your kids medicine before they get ill and by the time they do the meds won't work.
Don't know if I'm right or wrong on this, I'm not using any scientific data, just going by my gut instinct.

I start with medicated till about four weeks of age and then it's just normal feed .I just want the medication for the critical stage of development after that I want them to develope there own immune system strenghts and grow up that way .Once they are big enough it's just natural feed ( organic ) for the rest of there lives with me .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum