Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Worming cats/dogs

+2
Hidden River
rbryne
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Worming cats/dogs Empty Worming cats/dogs Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:31 pm

rbryne

rbryne

I know that this is off our general topic but I have a number of
cats around that we feed and water and in turn help keep the
mice in check. They are not feral but not all tame either. I
want to worm them and was wondering if anyone out there uses
a water soluble wormer for cats &/or dogs and if so what. I
have been using Safe Guard and Ivermectin for my peafowl but
there is no mention of using it safely on cats or dogs. Spot
On type treatment is really not an option so it would need to
be something that I can put in their food or water.

Thanks to anyone that has any ideas.

2Worming cats/dogs Empty Re: Worming cats/dogs Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am pretty sure you can use safeguard or ivermectin oral on them. I think both are not that great tasting though so you would have to put it in tuna or something to mask the taste, also dosing might be a bit of an issue since you won't know how much each cat will eat?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Worming cats/dogs Empty Re: Worming cats/dogs Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

HI You can use Strongid T horse wormer. It is a carmel tasting liquid and I have used it for my dogs forever.

Geri

4Worming cats/dogs Empty Re: Worming cats/dogs Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:43 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think about that often with our barn cats too. I have it down to the ones that will let me handle them get wormed, the others are on their own.

One member posted this site and it is great for wormer for dogs and cats. Very reasonably priced.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That link isn't working, let me try again.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That one didn't work either. I haven't ordered from them in a while, maybe just google it.

Hmm...after googling it I think there may have been some trouble with this company. I am not sure if itis this one or another. I had great results from them, but maybe research it a bit more. I have not ordered from them in over a year.

5Worming cats/dogs Empty Re: Worming cats/dogs Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:58 pm

gamestaff

Rasilon wrote:HI You can use Strongid T horse wormer. It is a carmel tasting liquid and I have used it for my dogs forever.

Geri

the only problem with the strongid T is that it is not very effective on tapeworm. safeguard is a broader spectrum product.

http://www.gamestaffstaffords.ca

6Worming cats/dogs Empty Re: Worming cats/dogs Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I used horse wormer on my cat this winter for tape worm. I think it was Safeguard.

I put about a pea sized amount in a syringe (Maybe a tiny bit bigger then a pea amount because a tiny bit stayed in the syringe). Pinned the cat between my knees while I was kneeling, used one hand on the scruff of the neck to tip his head back (His mouth opened when I did this, but he may have been trying to bite me for being treated in such a undignified manner) and I stuck the syringe into his mouth and plunged the plunger. I quickly disengaged myself and ran for my life. I managed to escape with only a few scratches.

I had asked my husband to help me by holding the cat and opening his mouth for me, but my husband was too much of a wimp to take on the challenge.

Don't forget to do a follow up treatment in 10 days.

I haven't noticed any tapeworm evidence from my cat since. He's a outdoor mouser cat, and I had asked the vet for something but they wont give you anything unless you are a client and bring the cat in to have a full check up. (And from what I hear, they aren't taking on any new clients.)

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum