Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicks that don't grow back feathers

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicks that don't grow back feathers Empty Chicks that don't grow back feathers Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:28 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A friend was here to visit tonight and is concerned about her barred rock chicks - especially the roosters. She says they are not growing in back feathers and they do not seem to be growing very well. She is concerned about them and is wondering what is causing this. They appear to act healthy and are active though small. Seems to me I read something about a genetic disorder that can cause chicken to be slow in growing in back feathers. Does anyone know about this condition or am I way off on that? What could be the cause for this? Thanks in advance because I know some of you knowledgeable folks will have some insight. Very Happy

2Chicks that don't grow back feathers Empty Re: Chicks that don't grow back feathers Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Her barred rocks have the slow feathering gene.
This gene results in barred rocks when the mothers have a slow feathering gene and the fathers have a normal feathering or a rapid feathering genes. A cross between these males and females will result in females with rapid feathering and cockerels with slowing. It is a sex- linked trait. The only way to know is to keep records on how the chicks feather out.

Not to worry though they will feather in you just have to be patient, they look rough for a while but do feather out.If she is feeding them a balanced diet they should grow.
I have barred rocks and see this. Not a fancy explantion or long genetics post but thats it in a nut shell.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

3Chicks that don't grow back feathers Empty Re: Chicks that don't grow back feathers Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, what Heather said. Good way to tell the boys from girls. Very Happy

4Chicks that don't grow back feathers Empty Re: Chicks that don't grow back feathers Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does the same apply to lakenvelders? I had a couple that were a couple months old and still hadnt fully feathered. They were the saddest looking birds I had ever seen and I eventually lost them before they ever did feather out so never found out whether they would have.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5Chicks that don't grow back feathers Empty Re: Chicks that don't grow back feathers Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:43 am

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll pass that info on to her Very Happy

6Chicks that don't grow back feathers Empty Re: Chicks that don't grow back feathers Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, seen that in the gold laced wyandotte cockerels when I had the breed too. Some of those poor cockerels looked so bare for so long. Sure was easy to tell the boys from the girls. Good information you received here, have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum