Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about goose feed.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Question about goose feed. Empty Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Have a pair of Embden geese, and I am concerned they are not eating enough. They have access to fresh water, and I have 17% layer out for them; also put out rolled oats/barley mix. Don't seem to eat much of these options. Recently I caught them at the front porch of the house eating cat/dog food. When I provided a few cups to them just to see, they ate it all. What should I do?

2Question about goose feed. Empty Re: Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks like they are sourcing out extra protein. I feed my geese/ducks layer ration 17%, barley just like you. But I also started providing them with an alfalfa bale, and they seem to really go to town on that. They don't really eat the stalks but dig through and eat all the fines and leaves, and bed down on the stalks.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Question about goose feed. Empty Re: Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well I really am stumped. They have the run of the farmyard, can go in and out of the barn, and they do. There are round alfalfa/tim bales open in the barn and two other places in the pastures. Also give them minimal fresh veg scraps. Think I should get some peas?

4Question about goose feed. Empty Re: Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Why not buy them some cheap dog food?

5Question about goose feed. Empty Re: Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was thinking of it. Just waiting for someone on here to tell me that dog food will kill geese or something like that Smile lol

6Question about goose feed. Empty Re: Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arcticsun's steal her dogs' food all the time and the only danger is being bit by the dogs! She says her geese are sleek and fat and sassy.

But I find geese to be sparse eaters at the best of times. If they eat too much they may have a fatty carcass.

7Question about goose feed. Empty Re: Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Arcticsun's steal her dogs' food all the time and the only danger is being bit by the dogs! She says her geese are sleek and fat and sassy.

But I find geese to be sparse eaters at the best of times. If they eat too much they may have a fatty carcass.
I agree geese like to be grazers, and I think it is a game when they can steel other's food. My geese love to come steel dog food, as do the turkeys.
You could give them dog or cat food as a treat, but make sure you dont let them get too fat, even if you dont plan on eating them too much fat will cause egg laying issues.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8Question about goose feed. Empty Re: Question about goose feed. Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:47 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm not eating my geese till I get at least one golden egg.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum