Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Standard vs. Large Fowl

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Standard vs. Large Fowl Empty Standard vs. Large Fowl Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:08 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I keep meaning to ask this question for some time now. Is the correct terminology for a non-bantam sized chicken, 'large fowl' or 'standard' or both? I thought I read somewhere that large fowl is the correct term if it's not a bantam, with the word 'standard' referring to the bird meeting the standards of its breed based on the Standard of Perfection book.

2Standard vs. Large Fowl Empty Re: Standard vs. Large Fowl Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I believe the correct term is 'large fowl'.

Similar to this is the term 'large foul' that you may hear in a sports competition.

3Standard vs. Large Fowl Empty Re: Standard vs. Large Fowl Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

When showing and judging they are refered as Large Fowl- many years ago everyone called them Standard Poultry but now the term is L.F or Large Fowl

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

4Standard vs. Large Fowl Empty Re: Standard vs. Large Fowl Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes ChicoryFarm, I think that you hit it on the head. I think that we use the word Standard meaning the normal or usual size of chicken that many of us saw as we were growing up. I was thinking of this same thought the other day wondering if some people think that we are implying that a bird is a representative of the Standard when we call it a standard breed or bird.

5Standard vs. Large Fowl Empty Re: Standard vs. Large Fowl Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:44 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for that clarification you guys. Appreciate it. Saying large fowl doesn't sound as comfortable as standard but I'm getting use to it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum