Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is the most popular breed?

+6
KathyS
Fowler
coopslave
Dan Smith
Schipperkesue
Cok-a-do-dool-doo!
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is the most popular breed? Empty What is the most popular breed? Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

What is the most popular breed?

http://thecluckstopshere.ca

2What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think records show it has been the Labrador Retriever for the last few years.

3What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The most popular breed within the highly intellectual community would be the Doberman Pinscher but if you are talking about heritage breed chickens it would be the famous Australorp . An all black friendly chicken from down under. Sorry Sue I couldn't help myself.

4What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah Dan, I just leave myself open for your jibes, don't I? You are right...about Dobermans though.

Now, if you are asking about cats, the Persian seems to have the top spot.

5What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 pm

It would have to be a breed that is quiet , doesn't jump on you , would train easy , doesn't loose hair ,good temperment , loyal , and all the other things that I can't seem to get in one package .............that would be the best dog , or the most popular in my book , but to each there own

6What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Eric, You just described my wife and she is certainly no dog. She has all of those attributes that you just described. lol!

7What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:38 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Now, if you are asking about cats, the Persian seems to have the top spot.

Yuck! Cant' stand those pushed in face, furball things. Give me a good old fashioned short haired ginger tabby tom! Aaaa, the simple things in life. Very Happy

Dan, I am with you about the Australorps, and this isnt just a jab at Sue either.

8What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:09 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Talking on a world wide scale, I would guess the Silkie.

9What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 am

Dan Smith wrote:Eric, You just described my wife and she is certainly no dog. She has all of those attributes that you just described. lol!
..........Strange .... I thought that someone might jump to that conclusion .. lol!

10What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:23 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ahem... Rolling Eyes
Well, I believe this is a good question and it was asked looking for some honest feedback regarding chickens. So, students, settle down and lets have a discussion. Very Happy
Speaking in terms of sheer numbers, the commercial broilers and layers win hands down. But since they are not breeds, I guess they shouldn't be counted.
So, going just from my own observations...I think some of the most popular breeds going these days are Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Americauna, Plymouth Rocks, Leghorn, Orpington and Australorp. I honestly havent paid much attention to the Bantam end of things, but I would agree Silkies must be right up there at the top.

What others seem to be popular?

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

11What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, you must forgive my literal interpretation of the question. I love to think outside the nesting bocks! (No eks!)

I think the most popular chicken breed is the Wyandotte. Lots to love about the Wyandotte- many colors, small comb, beautiful body.

Now, if you are talking rabbits the most popular breed is the Mini Recks

12What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:31 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Since KathyS got all serious on us, I think we need a bit more information to be able to give serious opinions. I think that is why this thread went a little south. Just our way of saying there was not quite enough information in the question to give a more focused opinion.

Most popular breed for what? Laying, meat, all round, pet, eye candy, broody, forager, winter laying or winter hardiness. See what I mean. I could tell you the breeds I like best, but to give an opinion on what I think is the most popular breed I think I need to know what for.

I hope our little bit of fun has not put you off, maybe a bit more info would help us be a bit more serious (or not Rolling Eyes ).

(posted at the same time as Sue)

13What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I took a very broad interpretation since I had no further information.

My reasoning is that some breeds may be more regionally popular, but you find Silkies everywhere.

Good point on the commercial birds though. If we go by sheer numbers, they win hands down.

14What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

To clarify (as much as I've loved this light subject!) I am speaking on backyard flocks. People who want 3-5 chickens of their own. I love my RIR and heard Austrolpe's were quite popular also.

15What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:00 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Regarding RIR's: my understanding (as I've never had them) is that given they are known to be an aggressive breed or very dominant, they're not a great breed to have as a mixed flock. They do fine with their own kind though and are fabulous layers.

By my observation, Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex are great together as their temperaments are similar, not aggressive but bordering dominant.

If you're interested in Australorps, they would go nice temperamentally with Buff Orps as they are both docile. And of course, you'll want an Ameraucana or two for added feather colouring as well as for their beautiful blue eggs.

Have fun with your decision making. Wink

16What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:10 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would say orpingtons, wyandottes and australorps for temperament. But they are big birds, you will not be able to have as many in the same space as a smaller breed.

Easter eggers are very popular because of their egg colour and variety of feather and then there is the dark egg layers like Welsummers. I personally find the Marans a little finicky for newbies but they lay a nice dark egg too.

I like the Chanteclers for winter laying, winter hardiness (no frozen combs with them). My experience with the roosters is they are very pleseant with their hens and accept new ones fine. I enjoy the hens curiosity too. The cockerels are good eating, but are a large bird too.

I have found RIRs rather assertive as well, especially the more commercial, productive lines.

17What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

I like the idea of having a carton full of colorful eggs Smile and it's good to know which breeds get along. The Chancler is a fun idea! People would take pride in knowing it is a Canadian breed.

18What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I thought that this picture of some eggs from some Heritage breeds might be what you are referring to. All the dark eggs are Welsummer and the blue are true Ameraucana's and the light tan ones are from the Australorp. There is one Barnevelder egg which is the one in the bottom right hand dozen , top row and third from the left. I could provide you with all of these breeds and more and even give you a 50% discount for being a newbie to chickens or if you would rather have chicks the same offer applies.

What is the most popular breed? IMGP2565

19What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Razz Those Australorp eggs are pretty boring beside the beauty of the other breeds, Dan. Razz

Coc-a-do-doll-do, in case you are wondering about my anti-Australorp attitude, it can be traced back to a vicious rooster attack. Dan continues to tease me about it! I am sure all Aussies are not the same, but that roo has forever blackened my view of them.

20What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

Ha! This is the pict, it looks so natural, colorful. Who wouldn't want it.

21What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

Cok-a-do-dool-doo!

Dan Smith wrote:I thought that this picture of some eggs from some Heritage breeds might be what you are referring to. All the dark eggs are Welsummer and the blue are true Ameraucana's and the light tan ones are from the Australorp. There is one Barnevelder egg which is the one in the bottom right hand dozen , top row and third from the left. I could provide you with all of these breeds and more and even give you a 50% discount for being a newbie to chickens or if you would rather have chicks the same offer applies.

What is the most popular breed? IMGP2565

Dan, I'd like to take you up on this offer please check your inbox.

22What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:11 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

Based on all the responses to the Ameraucana beards thread, that would be my vote - not only are they adorable but they lay unique and lovely blue/green eggs, and seem to have quite a strong following. I have chanteclers, sussexes, and ameraucanas, and the latter pair is my favourite. The rooster in particular has such personality.

23What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:15 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

RIR win for egg production, Barred Rocks & Wyandottes,but a nice bouquet of Cochins look great in your backyard

24What is the most popular breed? Empty Re: What is the most popular breed? Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Certainly the buckeye is the most popoular with me, then come the cochins then come the buff orpingtons, I am a little biased. I find the buckeyes are excellent layers, and lay 7 days a week, but they do stop for a period in winter. I did not have artificial light for the buckeye pen as I wanted to see what they do without lights. They molted in fall and stopped laying for about 2 months Shocked . This winter I will experiment with giving them artificial light. Think they had taken about a month off after the month and a half off after their moult, so it was more like 2.5 months. But that is OK, the buff orpingtons laid non-stop, so made up for that (except of course during the molt). The buckeye carcass makes for a mighty nice sized bird for the table, well, good for me. About 4 pounds, dressed at 20 weeks old, not bad, in my eye, nice firm meat. The buff orpington, good layers, docile and dressed out the same (I am speaking of young roosters) as the buckeyes at the same age. Three breeds of fowl I have are non-aggressive roosters, so I vote for these three, smiling. I certainly don't think that the buckeye are a very popular breed. Too bad, cause they are such cold hardy birds (pea combs, small, tight to the head), love to free range, but take well also to confinement, they are very personable, like people to visit them and talk. Man can those roosters talk. I am not speaking to crowing, which they really, really like to do, but they talk alot, never heard so many different sounds that came from a rooster, but they are certainly smooth movers with their voice, I love the buckeye voice, by the way. They are quite similar in colour to the Rhode Island red. Those are my favourite breeds, so as said, I am pretty biased about what I think is the most popular, smiling that big smile. You will find what you search for, for surely, have a most wonderful day. CynthiaM

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum