Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatching duck eggs

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatching duck eggs Empty Hatching duck eggs Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Rosies

I am wondering how everyone hatches there duck eggs? I haven't has any luck yet getting any to hatch. Thinking I collected while it was too cold as the ducks tend to lay on the floor at the front of the coop so some were cracked some weren't. Tried hatching the non cracked ones but maybe they got too cold still. I dry incubated them in with my chicken eggs so that's probably where I went wrong. I also couldn't get my humidity above 70% for lockdown. Help I am clueless with ducks!!!!!

2Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:13 pm

abpride

Rosies wrote:I am wondering how everyone hatches there duck eggs? I haven't has any luck yet getting any to hatch. Thinking I collected while it was too cold as the ducks tend to lay on the floor at the front of the coop so some were cracked some weren't. Tried hatching the non cracked ones but maybe they got too cold still. I dry incubated them in with my chicken eggs so that's probably where I went wrong. I also couldn't get my humidity above 70% for lockdown. Help I am clueless with ducks!!!!!

You need to hand turn them at least twice a day.
Pull the trays,spray them with room temp water and turn them.
Let them cool for a few min and then pop them back in.

I never incubated with chicken eggs.The duck eggs need to be pulled at least twice a day and its hard on the chicken eggs.

3Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Rosies

Ok I will try them on there own and spray twice a day. Do the cooling for a few mins. I have them on a turner so that should be ok. Do you keep tack of humidity? Or just spray them twice a day? I will be using a hovabator with turner.

4Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 pm

abpride

Rosies wrote:Ok I will try them on there own and spray twice a day. Do the cooling for a few mins. I have them on a turner so that should be ok. Do you keep tack of humidity? Or just spray them twice a day? I will be using a hovabator with turner.

I myself have never had luck using auto turners.
I hand turn twice a day when I pull,mist and cool.
keep your humidity on,but I never kept track of where it sat.

5Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I spray mine whenever I turn them 3 times a day at least. Then more thsn 3 per day just befor hatching.

The best advice I was given is: You can't hurry ducks, you just have to wait. Sometimes the hatching process takes a couple days. I am about to find out this week if geese are the same.

Renee, any ekstra advice for geese?

I am just amazed we are having eggs right now! Mine started laying at the beginning of February!

6Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 am

gubi

We tried call duck eggs in the hovabator. We got 4 out of 9 to hatch all needed assistance but I made lots of mistakes too. I set them with chicken eggs for starters. I did have a silkie hatch call eggs for me no problem whatsoever and the call hen hatched her eggs no problem too. If you don't have a great big huge number to incubate I would recommend a broodie hen or duck. That's how I'm planing on hatching mine this year.

7Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:08 am

Rosies

Do I still do a lockdown last three days don't open or turn or anything?

8Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Rosies

Update on my duck hatching abilities. So far from the batch I tried after posting this originally 5 out of 22 fertile eggs have popped up and a bunch more are pipped!!!! Yay I hope I get lots more.
Hatching duck eggs 7db29b53

9Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh thats good to hear!
Very Happy

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

10Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Rosies

Thanks Miry these babies are actually from some of the ducklings I got from you at the may sale in red deer last year.

11Hatching duck eggs Empty Re: Hatching duck eggs Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey thats cool! It is my son (gwducks) who owns them but I do love the ducks!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum