Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ameraucana hen has three boyfriends and she is NOT Happy

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

I have 3 roos in my Ameraucana/EE coop. I have 5 hens and 3 roos. They've all been raised
together and have been ok until today. The 3 roos have chased one of the hens mercilessly - cornering
her and having their way with her. I put her in a dog crate in the coop for overnight as she was very reluctant to go into the coop tonight. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do besides making soup out of two of the roos. They are really beautiful and it seems a shame. I've tried to find some more hens for the coop and that might help but so far I've been unable to source any. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

soup. . .

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, the birds are feeling the warmth of spring coming too. It will not get any better, even if you add more hens to the group, they are all aspiring to be top dog, one will, but honestly, you gonna have trouble, and it is already starting. Soup. Or rehome the roosters, this is just the beginning of spring, remember that....I had to move one buff orpington rooster out from with his half brother, they had 8 hens between them, didn't matter, and they grew up together from babyhood. It is spring and it is mating time. Good luck, rooster soup is wonderful, as is slow cooked rooster, smiling, you got some really big and hungry boys to feed, don't tell them what is in the soup pot Shocked beautiful days, CynthiaM.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Definitely downsize on the boyfriends. Soup is always a great option. Twisted Evil

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If your last resort is to kill them, try to sell them for cheap to a good home or give them away to someone who will do what they will with them. If you can't do that, killing them and using their bodies to feed your family is the next best thing.

But it's definitely not fair to the hens to put up with 3 roosters. One is more than enough.

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

Thanks everyone - I appreciate your advise!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum