Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Busy weekend

+4
Dan Smith
KathyS
CynthiaM
Hidden River
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Busy weekend Empty Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:01 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We (my 8 year old daugher and myself) attended a "Confidence Building Clinic" on horse back this past weekend. It was a greulling two days, but we learned alot and our horses did too.
I am sore and tired, but so happy we were able to learn as much as we did.

My horse is spooky of everything, but by the end of day one he was walking over a tarp, jumping 1 ft jumps (well walking over them), going through a curtain, between barrels and through the barrels and under a flag.
By the end of day 2 he was trotting through most of these obsticals, dragging a rope with jugs and bells on it, and even went under a tarp. The final exercise we mastered was going over a narrow bridge, something he had an isue with on our 4-H trail ride last summer.
My daughter's pony is very stubborn, she is not spooky but doesnt generally want to listen to my daughter, but by the end of yesterday she was doing what she was asked, and I am certain that with more time and some lessons on horse handling for my daughter they will be a great little pair.

My confidence in handling my horse has grown alot in the last few days, and I am excited to continue working with him and also with my girls to make them better horse people. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:28 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh wow, these clinics are worth their weight in gold for surely. Look at all that you four learned (Daughter, you and the horses). So wonderful. Learning, ongoing, and what a great time you must have spent with your gal!! I am still surprised, after all these years of riding and training horses, that my oldest gal still goes to clinics. She is coming now to 41 years of age, and has been riding since she was almost knee high to a grasshopper, smiling, perhaps, let's say, about the age of 13. I don't think there is ever a time when we stop learning, and isn't knowledge a most powerful and wonderful thing. Long live the clinics!! Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

3Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is so great to hear! It gives me hope to know that so much can be accomplished in 2 days. And what an excellent investment for you and your daughter to have gained those horsemanship skills and confidence. I'm sure this will pay off many times over.
My daughter and I also spent some time this weekend working with our horse. He has picked up some lazy and stubborn habits lately, acting barn-sour and sulky when we take him out. He needs some attitude adjustment and more important - lots of time under the saddle. That clinic you attended sounds like just the thing.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Although I don't have any horses I am happy for you.

5Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks everyone, we had a good time for sure. The chiropractor was laughing at my today when I walked in like an old cowboy, LOL, but got the kinks worked out and walking much better now. Very Happy
My hubby is doing a colt breaking clinic with the same people next weekend so was also a nice way to meet them and get ideas going for the colt clinic.

6Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good for both of you! I think getting these fundamentals down early, hopefully to avoid some possible negative outcomes of horsemanship, can leave your daughter with a sport that she can pursue for many, many years of her life. And it all starts with these important skills right at the start. Good job, and good job for you too! Hope your chiro gets you walking straight again...although that limp and swagger does have a certain country appeal to it.

7Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad to hear it well! And hopefully you didn't get too cold...I know how you like to be warm! Very Happy

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

8Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like it was confidence building for both horse and human alike!

9Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:Glad to hear it well! And hopefully you didn't get too cold...I know how you like to be warm! Very Happy

Yes this was a HEATED arena, LOL. But I was the only one with a jacket on by the end, but on Sunday we trotted and loped enough I actually warmed up to the point of only needing a sweater.

Sue yes it definately built the confidence of us humans as well, which is awesome. My daughter is going to start lessons at an arena near us soon as well.
Uno I agree, I told my daughter to listen well because her mom wishes she had that kind of instruction when she was a kid.

10Busy weekend Empty Re: Busy weekend Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like you had a great weekend Hidden!

I can't imagine a better weekend than one full of horses and quality time with your daughter. Just a bonus that you learned tons too. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum