Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silkie chick advice- How do you select for correct feet?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

No feathering on the middle toe- Duck feet- Missing fifth toes-

All these are automatic DQs for Silkies.

I need some advice on how to select Silkies with correct feet at a young age- before they get in their second fledge.

Questions I have-

Will a featherless middle toe grow feathers as the bird matures?

What do you look for in that fifth toe and fourth toe to ensure the bird is less likely to have duck foot?

What other secrets do you Silkie fanciers have that you can impart to a new but enthusiastic Silkie lover with a foot fetish? Sure I like the big poof, but that does a person no good if the judge can't get past the feet?

Very Happy

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue I think if my memory serves me right the middle toe usually isn't noticeably feathered until the chicks are closer to 6 weeks old?
(maybe I just don't really look until then). What are the parent stock like for the duck foot trait? I think it is a hard battle if there is already the weakness in the parents.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Kyle. I don't have the parents so I am on my own here.

In my mind it makes sense to look for a very upright fifth toe that is as far to the back of the leg as possible. That way there is more room for the fourth toe to be behind the leg as well.

I am assuming you also want to have complete separation of the fourth and fifth toe, meaning the fourth toe is not merely a side sprig of the fifth?

Anyone with fifth toed breeds please chime in- I need all the advice I can get!

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am sure I wrote a response to this last night, but maybe in my tired state I didnt post it?
Anyways we find that the best feathering is if the baby chicks have fuzz from the start on the middle toe. And that there is good seperation and position of the 4th and fifth toes as babies. It is hard to see on some, but on the splash and blue chicks we can notice these things right away, and decide from there which will go on to the "Maybe pen" and others that will go to the pet pen.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks you Hidden. A queston for you- In a pen of chicks from top-quality-footed parents about what percent of chicks would go into your "maybe pen"?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well since we don't have a pen of "top quality footed parents" there are only about 2-3 out of a hatch of 10 that would go in my maybe pen, then we do a decision at around 4 months again, and then when they are 1 year old.
We are really trying to get some better quality birds, and when you start with not perfect parents it is a long road. We love the beards and muffs as well as their wonderful pom tophats, but the toes as you say are a very difficult road to follow...
I think Amy has 2 really nice footed hens, her rooster needs some help but has all 5, no duck foot, but no feathered middle toe, so we don't get very many to pick from as keepers...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, all my Silkies are white. I have two pretty nice girls with decent feet. The boys are all mediocre and their feet are iffy. I have bought Cornels silkies and showgirls and they should be arriving soon. I can't wait to compare feet. To top it off, I have a couple incubators full of eggs from the first group.

I plan to keep the groups apart, hatch eggs and compare feet. It will be interesting to see the percent keepers from each group.

At about what age do you first look at those feet, Hidden?

Anyone else out there with feet hints? I also have Houdans which are going to be an even bigger challange. The breed is much harder to find. The ones I have are too small, too mottled, have repulsive feet and are very prone to Mareks. At least I can work with the Silkies. Due to their incredible popularity they are at least a little easier to find.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

How about others with those fifth toed breeds? Any advice?

Sue

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

im working with all hatchery faverolles, beaucse there so rare, so i am not that fussy about 5th toe the first few years! so if the 5th toe is alittle connectected i let it pass. but duck foot on the other hand is a no no, any time!!
hope that is kind of helpful! i will try to think of any more hints but im tied tonight and my mind is not working!! LOL

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Steve, this is very helpful. We both love those fifth toed breeds. It can be a steep climb.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum