Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ivormec and Eprinex

+6
ChicoryFarm
Hillbilly
fuzzylittlefriend
Schipperkesue
uno
silkiebantam
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Ivormec and Eprinex Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:47 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've never used either. I'm not even sure if we can get them in our feed store.

Ok, I know that there have been posts about using these products on poultry, but I would have to sort, and sort through posts, and then try and figure it all out in my poor brain, so I thought I would just ask here in this one post.

What is the differences between these two? This is what I gather. Very basic. lol. Ivormec gets rid of external, Eprinex gets rid of external and internal. That is about where my knowledge ends.

So lets see if I can make a fill in the blank list.

Uses:
Ivormec - gets rid of external
Eprinex - gets rid of external and internal (does this include tapeworm and gapeworm?)

Form (eg, liquid, paste, powder...)
Ivormec - ?
Eprinex - ?

How to apply:
Ivormec - ?
Eprinex - ?

Dose:
Ivormec - ?
Eprinex - ?

How often:
Ivormec - ?
Eprinex - ?

Egg/meat Withdrawal:
Ivormec - ?
Eprinex - ?

That's all I can think of right now. If there is something you want to add, please do!

Thanks for your help. Smile

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

2Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:34 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Niether approved for use in poultry. But we use them anyway. Off label usage.

Eprinex is applied to the skin. Squirt on. Eye dropper. One suck of the eye dropper per adult bird. That is my own personal exact measurement. It treats internal and external parasites. One treatment followed 2 or 3 weeks later by another squirt should get rid of current crawlers and any crawlers that are still waiting to hatch. Eprinex is used on dairy cattle and their milk does NOT need to be tossed and on fallow deer, and there is NO withdrawl time to butcher. What this says about tossing eggs or not is inconclusive and that is a judgement call made strictly according to your own personal preferences.

Ivo can be a pour on, some people add it to water, some inject it. But NOT into poultry. Make sure you read the label on the different Ivo products to see which one you are buying and use accordingly. It also treats internal and external parasites. There is a suggested withdrawl time for slaughter, what this infers about egg tossing is also up to your own discretion.

Last time I checked, some Ivo products were available at the feedstore. Not EPrinex. That had to be purchased at the vet clinic. At the time I bought mine, 250 mls (one cup) cost just under $80. I do not know the cost of Ivo, having never purchased it.

I was impressed with the Eprinex. But there is the matter of wrangling your birds, sucking up your one squirt of pour on, parting the feathers at the back of the neck, and applying this to the skin NOT the feathers. This goes better with a helper and is only practical with a certain number of birds. You also have to keep track of who you treated and who you didn't. I did this at night, when they were roosting, and as a bird was treated it got booted out into the hen yard. They all came in later.

I have not treated with Eprinex beyond that inital 2 times. After that I have gone the No Pest/piperazine route. I keep a No Pest strip in the hen house and twice a year give them a gallon of water that has piperazine in it. THey get that for one day then fresh water the next. So far, for me, this has worked. But I plan on holding onto that precious bottle of Eprinex just incase the Pest strip/piperazine method ever fails.

I did NOT toss eggs with either the piperazine or the Eprinex, but neither did I sell them to my egg customers. While I was willing to eat those eggs myself, I do not feel I have any business making that call for my customers. So for a week after, no one got any eggs but us.

3Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The main difference for me is egg withdrawl. I prefer Eprinex for that reason- no withdrawl.

Uno, I flip the birds and put the drops in the bare 'wingpit'. It is a lot easier than parting feathers.

Another difference is Eprinex is much more expensive.

Sue

4Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:19 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, the armpit sounds easier! But I was told to put the goop on a place the bird could not get its beak or face into. You don't want it grooming the product off OR getting the oil in its eyes. I have seen birds put their face in their armpit. But a chicken cannot reach the back of its own neck. Perhaps this extra careful placement is over-kill. It is a pain parting those neck fethers while your chicken bucks and broncs and has a fit. Upside down wins, if you ask me!

5Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:26 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

there is no drug withdrawl for ivomec as they use it in people too. They are essentially the same BUT one is oil based (pour on) and the other is water based. Make sure you read the labels as you cannot put the oilbased one in water. Also check the concentraions as they can be different from product to product. You are looking for a drug named ivermectin. I have on my shelf ivomec for injection 10mg per ml (1%). Use 4 ml per gallon of water. Make a fresh batch daily for 2 to 3 days repeat in 3 weeks. It does not treat active gapeworm but may help prevent it from becomming a full case. Giving it in the water will treat both internal and external parasites. I continued to sell eggs after I treated my flock last fall and nobody noticed or died that I know of silent

http://www.heavensentranch.com/poultryhealth.htm

good info here

Last edited by fuzzylittlefriend on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

6Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ivermectin pour on for livestock, though not approved, has been used by many on poultry.

Dosage is .5 cc per bird, applied directly to the skin. Back of neck with a syringe is easy I found. ( I used this once in an extreme case that Eprinex would not solve). There is a withdrawal period, based on other livestock, for milk etc, so I would just follow those.

7Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use Eprinex and I order it through my vet. It's not cheap but a little goes a long way. I use .5cc for large fowl and .25cc for bantams. If I'm using it for prevention I do one treatment on the skin at the back of the neck every 6 months. If your birds have lice or mites, I'd do it twice 2 weeks apart.

Also it works systemically and don't feel comfortable eating my birds' eggs for two weeks after I've applied it.

8Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The main difference is that the active ingredient in Eprinex is eprinomectin and the active ingredient in Ivomec is ivermectin.
They are both in the mectin family and work much the same.
Ivermectin kills by interfering with nervous system and muscle function, in particular by enhancing inhibitory neurotransmission. There is a very large margin of error with ivermectin.
I am pretty sure that eprinomectin kills in a very similar way. Eprinomectin continues to kill worms at lower concentrations and it kills more species of worms for longer than any other endectocide pour-on available.
I think either is good. I use Eprinex when the cattle are getting it and I use any of the others when the cattle are getting one of them. Very Happy

9Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I use eprinex, so easy to apply, I have a flashlight, head lamp thingy that attaches to my ball cap. Wait until everyone is on the roost for the night, and all by myself, I can do the whole barn in just a matter of minutes. I go under the roost and reach up and bing bang boom they are all done.
Well of course the ones that are low enough to reach I don't go under, just the top roost.
I use one of those dropper containers that you get for fertilizing your house plants.
Eat the eggs the next day, never had a problem, and as far as I know, I don't have worms, lice or mites!!!!
I do this spring and fall.

10Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:39 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My understanding is the mectins are 'broad spectrum' wormers and work for both internal/external parasites, whereas a product like piperazine is more for internal roundworms.

ChicoryFarm wrote:I use Eprinex and I order it through my vet. It's not cheap but a little goes a long way. I use .5cc for large fowl and .25cc for bantams. If I'm using it for prevention I do one treatment on the skin at the back of the neck every 6 months. If your birds have lice or mites, I'd do it twice 2 weeks apart.

Also it works systemically and don't feel comfortable eating my birds' eggs for two weeks after I've applied it.

This is exactly what I do (including ditching the eggs for 2 weeks), only I use ivermectin. Smile

I found this an interesting thread to read about deworming and the different products...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/213065/to-worm-or-not-and-piperazine-dosage-for-bantams

11Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here's the link where I got my directions from in using Eprinex: http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/poultry-medication/eprinex-for-worms-lice-mites.html

12Ivormec and Eprinex Empty Re: Ivormec and Eprinex Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I use pour on cattle ivomec. Kills lice, and internet worms etc. 1/2 a cc per chicken either ont he back of the neck, or in their armpit. I do it about once int he spring and once in the fall, and to any birds that come on the property. $60 for a huge jug that would last any chicken owner years,I have cattle anyways, so always have it around. You dont have to buy the IVOMEC brand, just ivermectin as the ingredient, and the POUR ON stuff. usually blue or purple

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum