Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Preserving Capes, hackles and feathers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Preserving Capes, hackles and feathers Empty Preserving Capes, hackles and feathers Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:55 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A friend of mine has a son who guides and ties his own flys for fishing. She was saying that he was expressing interest in my guinea fowl feathers and asking what I did when I butchered them and the roosters.

Well, we've never butchered any of our guineas yet, as last year we were just building up our flock. This year we'll probably try to raise some to eat.

Does anyone know the correct way to preserve the feathers? I know you are supposed to leave them attached to the skin. Where do you remove the skin from the bird, and how do you keep it? Do you stretch it out on a board and put salt or anything on it?

I was also thinking that it might be nice to do some Rooster feathers too.

Also, what would be the best way to kill them, and not soil the feathers with blood? I like to bleed out the chickens when we butcher them, but this can leave the feathers looking not so pretty sometimes.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum