Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oxine AH - where to find?

+2
Hidden River
Blue Hill Farm
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Oxine AH - where to find? Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does anyone know where I can get a product called Oxine AH (Animal Health) in Canada? It’s used to treat internal fungal infections in poultry, as well as a disinfectant/cleaner. I’ve been calling around all day and nobody seems to know what I’m talking about or has ever heard of it. Neutral

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Only ever saw it online in the US. You can order it up here but being a 1 gallon jug might be a bit expensive to ship? I believe it was Cutler supply that had it down there.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks Hidden. I emailed Culters earlier and am waiting to hear back on the cost of shipping, or if they even can ship into Oxine into Canada. confused Ugh, I'm scared the shipping will be worth more than the product...

4Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I bought some in Ontario and have several gallons in the basement.

I can post more later if you are interested.

Sue

5Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Sue, I am definitely interested! Would you consider selling some?

6Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:43 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I literally drove across the country and back to get it. When I returned with it I offered it to people in small containers to try out. I had no takers.

Here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then half a year after the initial post I received a VERY stern warning from the mods not to offer it repackaged and that what I was doing was highly illegal and i would get in trouble for it.

I got the name of the supplier from the manufacturer. The American supplier must have it repackaged to sell in Canada. Later today I can find the Canadian supplier for you. It is not cost-efficient to have a gallon of liquid shipped.

My results- in spite of it being toted as a cure all for every problem, it is not. Fogging was not effective for a sneezing chicken and did not affect the snuffles in my rabbits one bit (my original purpose for purchasing). By mouth it did not either cure or prevent disease at all. It was an effective biofilm supressant and Doug still uses it for that purpose in his vat of cat water.

In my opinion, save your money and buy food grade Hydrogen Peroxide instead. I am finding that far more effective as a preventative.

I have 5 1/5 gallons in the basement that I drove across the country to get and dragged back in a crowded car. I may give it another try sometime.

Sue

7Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:31 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have read lots about oxine AH and have recently been in contact with a fellow that is Alberta-based. I am going to copy his recent email to me, indicating sources for the product. I know in B.C. it can be obtained from a company in Coquitlam, (Lower Mainland), but not sure if even they have to order it in. I was and am still interested in the product, just haven't gotten around to implementing it into my life. It is a good product, have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

He also sent me 4 files with information about oxine AH. The original talk about oxine-AH was on the ACE forum, probably a good couple of years ago. A gal that posted on that particular forum only a couple of times, had done an incredible amount of research on the product, i.e., where to find it and so on and posted her results. I read those results and did a little sleuthing myself. I would like it in particular for keeping the animals' water more clean around here, in particular the horses'.

This fellows name is Lorne Sprague, and works for Woodwyant.

Sorry for the delay, I did get your message and I have been quite busy in the past few days.
How much information do you want? I can send you technical data, msds…etc etc.
Quite a few people from that forum have purchased Ecosan from us out of our Coquitlam site, as well as lots of mink farmers in Manitoba.
I haven’t had any negative reviews, or troubles with it at this point.
The product can be ordered from our 1 800 361 7691 number.
It is the same product that is available in the USA, we have to bring it in under their label and for efficacy in Canada, we have our name Ecosan branded on it.
Some people are going to the full strength option on it and mixing it with citric or phosphoric acid and letting it activate…in a closed container and mixing it to the required dilution (ppm) for disinfection.
In my years of experience this product is head and tails more efficient than almost anything.
You can call that number and ask for Natasha…she will be happy to help.
Lorne

8Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most usages for Oxine are as an industial cleaner. The man I bought it from sold to beer making facilities to clean between brews, as awell as a cleaner for animal applications- mink farms, etc.

WARNING: Read up on this product before using. The suggestion to mix it with acid is for cleaning and fogging areas WITHOUT animals. Mixed with an acid creates a powerful chemical reaction and the gas produced is lethal. Probably why it is such a good barn cleaner- anything touched by the gas dies.

It must be diluted with water to be given to animals orally or in a mist so they can breathe it in.

Sue

9Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's too bad Sue. It sounds like you made quite the road trip for it.

I don’t believe in cure-alls myself, but I am interested in obtaining Oxine AH, (for numerous reasons, mainly to try on a suspected fungal infection, not snuffles). I would really like to find myself a gallon asap. I have been reading up on the product and will NOT be using the activator.

So Oxine AH in Canada is Ecosan? Thanks for the contact info. I will see what I can find out later today.

10Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Blue Hill Farm (still enjoying your new name :-), did you get and use the oxine/exocsan? If so, anything to report from using it?

11Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:33 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am curious too. I used it in the water and it helped with the biofilm, but food grade H2O2 works just as well and is easier to acquire. I gave up trying to find an affordable mister years ago, but I still have three gallons left.

12Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:18 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, I did! Thanks to two kind and lovely ladies, I was able to swing a deal for a gallon of the good stuff and have it transported back from AB. Smile Unfortunately the rooster I had wanted to try it out on met his end before I had the product on hand, so I never did use it in a warm mist humidifier like intended.

I have used oxine as a bacteria preventative in my incubator. A few drops in the water reservoir works great, but like Sue said, food grade hydrogen peroxide is a lot easier to come by and works just as well. I’ve also used oxine mixed with water as a sanitizing hatching egg rinse. Again it worked well enough, (some eggs hatched, some didn’t) but no more than the bleach dip I tried before. And again as a disinfectant spray in my bator/hatcher in between hatches. Oxine is a biocide, so it kills bacteria, mold, and even some creepy crawlies.
These days I keep a heavier dose of oxine mixed up in a spray bottle to use on my shoes and anyone visiting my chicken yards shoes. Hubby thinks it's overkill, but I'd rather take certain precautions then be sorry later.

One thing I’d like to test it on is bumble foot, because apparently oxine will kill staph causing bacteria on contact. Fortunately I haven’t had a case for a while now, though it would be nice to know if oxine does indeed work on bumble foot.

13Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I keep the Oxine for butcher day. A 1/4 cup with citric acid activator goes into our first rinse water. Figure as it kills most microorganisms and is used in food processing areas, it is a perfect additive for this purpose.
It is also what I use to clean everything after we finish up.
I've had a gallon for several years now, and use it in the spring after doing my big barn clean out.
If you mix it up, it only stays active for a short time. Can't remember if it was days or a week though.

14Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:45 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The guy I bought it from says most of his customers are meat processors and beer makers who use it to clean their equipment.

I did find a small humidifier and misted a chicken with respiratory issues for three times a day for several weeks to no avail.

Another purpose is to add acid, create a toxic gas, and fumigate a barn. Don't breathe that stuff in and remove all animals first!

15Oxine AH - where to find?  Empty Re: Oxine AH - where to find? Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thanks. glad to hear about your experiences. it sounds like it might be really useful for dealing with hard to get to places when it is in gas form.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum