Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not urgent: Work in city, farm elsewhere -- protecting what you've worked for

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hello all.

A question popped into my head last night after I had snuggled into the warm sheets. I would have gotten up to post it then, but having the covers is a short-lived thing and it must be cherished at all times Wink

Does anyone else here work in 'the city,' away from their flock(s) and/or herd(s) for much of the day? The reason I ask is I'm curious as to how people have chosen to protect their animals while they are not on the premises. Dogs? Donkeys? Alpacas? Automated zombie slaying machines that know the difference between friend or foe? In the plans for my coop (which I may post when I can link the pictures off photobucket), I've included fencing to deter predators from both above and the sides -- weasles... I know about them, but I'm not sure I can take the venture to dig down 3 feet, lay chicken wire, re-earth and re-seed (not yet anyway).

However, for the 2 or 3 goats I'd like to have, they would just have a wire-fenced pasture run with the 6 strings and cross strings to try to keep them in (I've heard that's a dandy chore). There are coyotes around our property and we've heard them yipping in that area as well as behind our shelter belt. There have been tracks that tell they've been through the yard and I suspect, over the years, they've picked off a few barn cats here and there. Shooting them is an option, just not if I'm not home.

DH's big dog has torn the throat from a coyote in his younger days, but he is both underclothed for the frigid weather here (short haired breed), and getting up there in years and that will never be his job. I'm wondering if a donkey (if I can find one cheap enough) is practical, not to mention easy to re-home should things not work out with the ranch -- donkey isn't really on my menu, no to be an ass.

That was terrible, I know, but I couldn't resist. No *facepalm*

The above question about re-homing a donkey is the exact reason I don't want to commit to another dog at this time. If things work out (*praying*), a farm dog will be a must imho, and having another guardian breed would be something I would definitely consider.

What is your experience and/or opinion on this matter? If you're one of the lucky folks who does this farm deal for a living, is able to avoid the city and still manages a good living, please note that my envy currently feels like hate in this moment, but I'll get over it, LOL. If you'd like, you can share tips on that as well: how to get from where I am (city, 1 hour commute one way, making for 10 hour days), to where you are. Huzzah.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I commute 20 minutes, Doug, an hour. One way. Big strong fences take care of our issues. We have had sneaky foxes, but the local neighbors have decimated the coyotes and we rarely see them, or coyote evidence.

Sue

shadowridge

New Here

I live north of you, so similar issues, and both the husband and I work off-farm. A livestock bonded working guardian dog breed is the best, but if that isn't practical as far as animals go I think a llama works better than a donkey. However, not all of them are aggressive enough, just like only a percentage of donkeys will actively chase dogs or coyotes. I have both, my donkey is best buds with the horses and could care less about the canines, and the llama does chase and spit, but could still end up being the victim himself. The best guard I ever had was a nasty Appaloossa stud, nothing got past him, lol. Really good fencing with a couple of electric wires would likely be the best, maybe with a combination of locking them up at night, not having them loose during prime hunting times which are late evening and early morning.

http://shadowsridgefarm.weebly.com/

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

My wife and I along with an army of dogs do guard duty here. We are both retired (and on accasions just tired). We do child care and animal care, family school bus, and a lot of old fashioned farm jobs.

Thanks everyone. Seems like an electrified fence is surely the way to go. I'll have to look into the details on that, as I'm not sure the costs associated.

I'm trying to do everything as 'manually' as possible, but this, perhaps, is unavoidable.

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Donkeys and llamas are alright for livestock guardians, but they usually sound the alarm and let you know a predator is around, they don't always attack they leave that up to you. Best lock your flock up until you are home to keep an eye on them. Good luck

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum