Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A cat's tale.

+4
Fowler
rosewood
heda gobbler
uno
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A cat's tale. Empty A cat's tale. Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:26 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Horsey teen daughter works at a small, local sawmill. It would seem that this mill not only functions as a place to purchase quality cedar products, but as a place to dump your unwanted cats. The mill is crawling with cats at any given time, which is good since there is a serious mouse population. But cats, moving equipment and rolling machinery do not mix well and the vast majority of dumped cats live a very short life at the mill.

Teen wakes me at the end of her last shift, which was about 4:20 in the morning. "Mom, get up, we have to rescue a cat."

It should be understood that I am not a cat person. I don't like cats and am wildly allergic. I do not go near cats let alone rescue them. So off we go to the mill with a milk crate with a slab of cardboard fixed to the open top with two pipe cleaners (all purpose attachment devices). I have made my involvement perfectly clear; I am sitting in the truck. Period. Not going near stupid cat. Stupid teen can catch stupid cat. I should be in bed and was stupid to get out!

We park and teen dashes towards the mill and all the lit up moving equipment while other mill workers wonder what's going on. Because of the dark and the lights it's hard to tell what she's doing and it looks like she is having some sort of mental breakdown as she dashes all over the place, bent over at the waist, in a senseless pattern. What no one can see is the cat is running for its life with teen in hot pursuit. I am rooting for the cat, run kitty, run! Damn, she's got it and brings it, hissing, spitting and clawing to the truck where I hold the cardboard flap open while she inserts cat into crate.

Have you ever tried to stuff a mad cat into a crate at 5 in the morning? Injuries were acquired. Not to the cat.

Who knew that a starved, half grown cat could rip a slab of cardboard off a milk crate? I am leaning on the crate and cat is yowling menacingly from within. What is that horrible smell? "Oh, it's the cat. He's not neutered and he sprays on things, mostly himself. BUt there is something wrong with his ears too and they stink and he's a little sick so he's not cleaning himself normally." Great. A sick, un-neutered, stinky, dirty cat. Just what I want at home.

At home we uncrate the angry puss and...good lord! Horsey teen, you've brought home a cat with rabies! The pathetic creature is foaming at the mouth, literally, drool and goop hanging down in great St. Bernard type swoops. He is hunched, his breath sounds like blowing bubbles into a milkshake. His eyes are crusted and he staggers a little when he moves. I've never seen a rabid animal but am pretty sure this one is and we're all doomed now! Horsey teen gives him a scratch on the ear. He ignores her, turns his hunched back and scuttles under the tack shed.
"Mom, can we bring him in the house?"
"When #ell freezes over! I have to go make appointments for us all to have rabies shots."

Not being a cat person, I did not know that giving a pill to a resistant cat makes riding bucking bulls look like a walk in the park? After more injuries to self and damage to property, cat ran away UN-medicated, to wheeze what I was sure would be its last breaths under the tack shed. Perfect. Die under the tack shed. Now we'll be hiring and excavator to hoist the tack shed in the air to yank out the stinking cat carcass. This just keeps getting better.

Cat will not eat. Gave it milk and tuna. It will not touch either. Pet store lady told me a cat that cannot smell properly will not eat. I do not know if this is true. It won't eat the offered fish, but chews on hay. Rabies. She said to clear the congestion we had to confine the cat and steam it. Steam it? As in iron out the wrinkles? How the heck do you steam an angry, mostly wild, rabid cat?

Oh...almost forgot the point of this post. Is anyone looking for a lovely family pet? Call me. I've got one I'm anxious to get rid of. Just so we're clear I'm talking about the teen, the cat can stay huddled under the tack shed for all I care.

2A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:15 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are a wonderful loving and supportive mother.

Good luck to horsey/cat rescuing teen!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:26 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good luck, Mom. You are doing a wonderful job with that girl. Most teenage girls would not be out chasing a stray cat at 4 in the morning and most Moms would be sleeping.

4A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:51 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:Good luck, Mom. You are doing a wonderful job with that girl. Most teenage girls would not be out chasing a stray cat at 4 in the morning and most Moms would be sleeping.

A fair number of teen girls might be running around with tom cats at 4:00 in the morning but not quite so literally... and they wouldn't invite their mother along. lol!

Wrap the cat in a towel to give it pills.

5A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My mother used that term "He's been tom catting around". Very descriptive!

Yes, swaddle the cat very tightly in a very old towel. It won't be pretty but it is possible. Be warned it takes at least two people! Not sure a feral cat can ever be tamed completely but she's just the girl to do it if it can be done.

6A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:09 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh girl, what things we do for love. If you didn't love that gal so much, you would have took her to take a hike, at 4:00 in the morning. That was certainly a cat's take....you have such a way with words. That poor cat sounds like it has been through the mill (get the joke, smiling). This is a sad thing to hear, of people drifting their cats to live at the mill, right on the edge of a main highway, I might add.....that is just asking for trouble for these poor strays. As you may not see this, this was a very admirable thing for horsey teen daughter to have done (along with Mamma's help). I hope that things work out and this little feral fellow can be made to appreciate what has been done for him. Keep us posted on how things work out, (I know that you will Very Happy ). Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

7A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am

Upper respiratory infections are very common in felines, and normally kittens are vaccinated against them. Your new feral buddy will either recover or he won't. The stress of the capture and move, loving though it's intent, may be what tips him over the edge. If he survives, he will be all the stronger and will keep your shed free of mice, but abundantly scented and marked as his, for the rest of his life in his gratitude I'm sure.

If he does survive, maybe you (teen) can trap him and get him neutered. It may not be too late to stop the spraying behaviour. Horses generally won't eat hay that's been sprayed on, I'm afraid, so you (teen) may want to deal with that little detail. Neutral

Good luck Mom. I love you

8A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rest assured if he survives he mostly certainly will be neutered. At this point I doubt he would survive anesthetic. HE can hardly breathe. Sneezes, wheezes and gurgles. He also has ear mites and has scratched his ears bloody. GOt meds for that too.

Lastnight we did the towel and antibiotic trick. Took three people. Cat may be sick as a dog but still can express resentful anger with utter clarity! HE is also scratching lovely patterns into the cedar siding on the tack shed! Oh joy.

9A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 am

I'm amazed you can catch him! That's a very good sign if he's that tame. Maybe it will all work out. It's not a bad thing, having a cat or two around (outside).

Bless you for taking him in and adding him to your care. He's a lucky guy! Named him yet? Razz

10A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:58 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Since Horsey Teen first found him in the tally shack at the mill, his name is Tally Cat. He is an orange tabby. Told he is a 'true' tabby since the rings around his tail are complete. I have no idea if this matters, racoons have rings on their tails too and I don't like them any better for it.

Tally is where all the lifts of lumber are taken. They are set on dunnage, bar coded, ends waxed, wrapped and strapped for shipping. Tagged and lableled and moved out to be loaded on trucks. That is what Horsey Teen does 10 hours a night. Oh...and wrangle cats.

11A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:18 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

We were just talking to a neighbour about how big and tough ginger tabby males can be. We have a couple around here that are the size of bobcats and only just tame.

My money's on Tally Cat.

12A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

While the name definitely does suit. I know it’s been said before, but you sure do have a way with words Uno. I really enjoy reading your posts. Smile Looking forward to the next edition of Tales from Uno’s World. tongue

13A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:18 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well snotty, gaspy Tally Cat is still hanging on, much to my surprise.

The vet had said that cats are subject to viruses and if so, anitbiotics would not help. Now here we are and Tally Cat lives in a cozy box with a thick cushion and his cushion is spattered with green, bloody snot. That cat sneezes and sneezes and it is green and bloody. To me this screams INFECTION. So what started out viral may well have developed secondary problems that are NOT viral anymore.

I am faced with wrangling a cat. Remember, I am allergic to cats and this one is just a shade off wild, not too keen on being handled. Hmm...how to get meds in a resistant cat? With claws. And snot. A snotty, wild, unco-operative kitty. A dilemma to be sure. BUt I think it went fairly slick.

Found an old pillowcase and snipped off one corner. Hemmed the cut corner for extra strength. Popped the corner hole over kittie's head and then in one slick motion, bagged the rest of him in the pillowcase. Twist the extra fabric a few times and stand on it. Watch for that tail! NOw there is a kitty in a pillowcase with his head sticking out. His claws are all stuck into the fabric, better than into my arm. There was some bucking but I was able to grasp the back of his head, tilt back to open the mouth and squirt in meds. Clamp jaw shut and rub throat...avoid direct eye contact because if looks could kill.....

The secret was not to pick kitty up, but to make sure you were standing on the rest of the pillowcase. Once his claws were in the fabric he was kind of tangled in and immobile. Perfect. Tally Cat is now under the tack shed glaring at me with revenge in mind. I don't mind a venegeful cat, but snotty is just gross.

14A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:16 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wish there was a video. It would be a hit on youtube.

15A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm

crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady

heda gobbler wrote:I wish there was a video. It would be a hit on youtube.

TOTALLY!! Very Happy

16A cat's tale. Empty Re: A cat's tale. Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:27 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ginger, tabby toms are the BEST! I have never had a bad one. He will be well worth the effort!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum