Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Views vs. Replies

+5
Jonny Anvil
Hillbilly
Schipperkesue
Hidden River
uno
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Views vs. Replies Empty Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have you ever looked at a post and noted how many views it got versus how many replies it got? Do that many of us have nothing to say? Some of us have too much to say, you know who you are, SUE. Yeah, that's right, I'm talking 'bout you! geek

2Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes I have Uno, and after this weekend of talking to people at the show and such, many like to come and read, some dont have much to say but sure appreicate the ability to come read and see what is going on.
Most of the forum areas are able to be read by people not on our forum as well, so those people can read but cannot reply, hoping if they have something to add they will join the group and join the discussions, but that is why many get lots of views and few replies.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Have you ever looked at a post and noted how many views it got versus how many replies it got? Do that many of us have nothing to say? Some of us have too much to say, you know who you are, SUE. Yeah, that's right, I'm talking 'bout you! geek

OK, first I misread your topic as Views VS Reptiles and was about to comment on your grammar as well as your subject matter. Then fortunately I actually read what you had to say, Uno, and was glad that I did not publically embarass myself.

Now secondly, I must say that I would never characterize it as 'too much to say'. When I expound on a subject it is more like taking advantage of a teachable moment! And we all know there are many of those, don't we, UNO? Razz

Sue

4Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A wise man knows when to speak, and when to shut up and listen.

God gave us two ears and one mouth so we could listen twice as much as we spoke.

5Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:58 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, viewing reptiles.....please adjust your reading glasses.

Hidden, when a non-member views a post, does it still show up as a view? I would have assumed (wrongly) that the only views that were tallied were member views. Huh. LEarn something new everyday, as Sue likes to point out. Teachable moments.

Hillbilly, What. Ever.

6Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I was always told I speak to much... ever since I was a child I always heard and people have commented that I talk and talk and Tal.... oops doing it again.... But I agree.
Hey I'm Irish, I have ADHD bounce and I love life. Very Happy

I am in the learning phase and like to read as much as I can. Somewhat of a fence sitter in that regard as I like to see the conversation expand and grow. For me it's a great way to learn about a topic of interest, sometimes I will view a thread many times, but never comment. If I don't know or are not knowledgeable I don't comment... and If I do it is merely to show that I am interested in the conversation or just feed back.

What I personally get from this board at my stage, being a beginner to poultry raising is the advice, suggestions and opinions other more knowledgeable and experienced members have shared, and continue to share. It has helped me big time in consideration of where I am at in my hobby stage, and continue to flourish and prosper into where I am heading.

With all the helpful information I have gotten from reading posts, In turn I have found myself conversing with other novice poultry fanciers sharing what I have learned.

A wise man knows when to speak, and when to shut up and listen.
I agree.... very much.

7Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:22 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Some things I just like to read and don`t really have anything to say about. Others I do have something to say, but someone else has said it and usually better than I could have. Other times I am just to tired to get into it. Rolling Eyes
I also think I go through waves of replying and not replying. I suppose I worry that people don`t really want to hear what I have to say. Embarassed

8Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Well I like seeing responces to any posting that I do put on the forum's , but I'm also speechless, tongue tied by some others ...........and then there are those that seem to answer there own questions with there posting ? and then there are those who just RANT and there really is no responce other then a bit of laughter and a shake of the head .

9Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:20 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Praire dog, I think I know someone who fits your description. Very Happy

10Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:
Hillbilly, What. Ever.

Wha?....

I know....
A wise man knows when to shup up, go buy a sled, and F-off?

(I think I need one of these)

11Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 pm

coopslave wrote:Some things I just like to read and don`t really have anything to say about. Others I do have something to say, but someone else has said it and usually better than I could have. Other times I am just to tired to get into it. Rolling Eyes
I also think I go through waves of replying and not replying. I suppose I worry that people don`t really want to hear what I have to say. Embarassed

Perfect case in point. CS said it perfectly so I didn't respond. Or wait... You know what I mean.

Uno you know my take on people who respond just to say "What SHE said!!"....which is kind of exactly what I'm doing, in a very long-winded way. But that's why.

Also, for every new response, you get everyone who clicks on "view new posts..." getting it up at the top of the list, so you might get a bunch of reads for every one reply.

12Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm, after reading all the responses, now I am thinking of a practice found in 'primative' cultures known as 'shunning'. If a person does not follow the group's set of morals and rules they are shunned, often ignored for long periods of time, or even forever. It is a powerful tool cultures can use to mold the behavior of its members.

Hmmmm....

Sue

13Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Hmmm, after reading all the responses, now I am thinking of a practice found in 'primative' cultures known as 'shunning'. If a person does not follow the group's set of morals and rules they are shunned, often ignored for long periods of time, or even forever. It is a powerful tool cultures can use to mold the behavior of its members.

Hmmmm....

Sue

My goodness, is that why so many of my responses are thread killers?! You guys have all been trying to tell me something and I have been stubbornly ignoring you and being unmoldable! Laughing

BTW, thanks farmchiq!

14Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:54 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, I find your use of the word 'mold' to be interesting when referring to the practice of shunning. Shunning and excommunication do not 'mold' a society. They intimidate and coerce like how the Mafia might 'mold' your knee cap with a baseball bat. While we distance ourselves from people and practices we find distatesful, when it is done on a group level, it is evil and wicked. The results, devastating. It is a powerful means of abusive control and removal of personal rights and freedoms, Lord, why am I not a lawyer? We can discuss this further on that other forum we both belong to "Fruedian slips or, What You Really Meant to Say.." This really needs its own thread because the discussion of ways to control people is totally appropriate to a chicken site.

Farmchiq, I know what you mean. SOmetimes there is little to add when you are in agreement with a thread/topic. But sometimes I speak up anyway because A) I like the sound of my own voice, we all know that and B) sometimes it seems like a person is standing alone and I would step out of a crowd to stand beside them if I felt so moved, so will sometimes voice support just so they don't feel hung out to dry. It can be lonely posting an unpopular opinion or touchy topic.

15Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote: A wise man knows when to speak, and when to shut up and listen.

God gave us two ears and one mouth so we could listen twice as much as we spoke.

and ten fingers so we can type five times as much as we listen. lol!

16Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Goodness Uno, did I misuse a word? Me? Actually I didn't say shunning molds a society, I said it molds behavior and I can attest to this by my many observances of teenaged girls. I also haven't passed judgement of whether it is right or wrong, I just said that on reflecting on posts here I found myself thinking about it. I am thinking that your definition of mold has more positive connotations than mine.

Actually Coopslave, I have been wondering the same thing about myself! Ha ha! I prefer to think of it this way. Those threadkiller posts are just so succinct that they sum up everyones feelings so perfectly that no one can top them!

Sue

17Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:27 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Actually Uno, I don't think a baseball bat can mould a kneecap!?!? It can smash a kneecap, but definitely not mould one!
I'm just sayin'.

18Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aha! Is that the mould I'm looking for? No mold on you DWD!

Sue

19Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Evil or Very Mad

20Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:42 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Teenage girls are mouldy, moldy and scare the beejeebers out of me! Do not give baseball bats to teenage girls. It's late. I need sleep. What is this thread about?

21Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:28 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha! And I was about to accuse DWD of being a thread killer. Now he has to just be satisfied with the title of cereal killer. A whole bowl of Cheerios every morning I hear, sheesh!

The thread was about..... ummm......

Sue

22Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:57 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The thread is about 2 pages long so far.

23Views vs. Replies Empty Re: Views vs. Replies Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:43 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hee, hee, another cool thread made by Uno (which I think has too much time on her hands Shocked , oops, did I say that, that was my inner voice). Kidding.

Uno, I have told you time and time again, that I love your threads. You always have very thought provoking thoughts, and you surely bring that out for us to work with. Look at this, like Fowler said, this thread is too pages long, and I am sure that there was a whole lotta kidding going on around here. And What Ever!!! Never stop being you, and never stop thrilling us with your posts that make us go "huh", hugs, have a most beautiful and wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Reptiles, now Sue, that made me actually have a good laugh, inside laughing....I see things too!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]