Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cleaning duck tummies....

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cleaning duck tummies.... Empty Cleaning duck tummies.... Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I know it's a bit late but....duckies are all tucked in a deeply bedded spotless coop. My hope was that they would keep dry and clean up if I don't let them out tomorrow. The bantams are very clean. The Saxony's...have dirty tummy's. I'm taking them tomorrow afternoon or evening to the show barn.
I have tomorrow morning, maybe an hour, to spend with them.
I was thinking...what about baby wipes rather than a bath? Or with them being even drier (until they knock their water over which I'm sure they will do) I have multiple horse/dog brushes and could brush them out.
I could take a rubbermaid of warm water down there but there will be no heat for drying...just the cozy coop. Would they dry in time or just look messier by Sat am?
Hopefully some of you are up late and have some thoughts.

2Cleaning duck tummies.... Empty Re: Cleaning duck tummies.... Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

dont bother brushing! it just mangles feathers! the better feather quality the better the overall appearance of the bird.
i would try to use baby wipes first, although i still wash with soap all my calls three days before a show and just use the wipes as a touch up.

3Cleaning duck tummies.... Empty Re: Cleaning duck tummies.... Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Thx! The overall appearance is great....until you turn them over, lol!! We'll see what happens. I suppose for all my washing whether it was three days ago or the day of they could still just muck themselves up in the show cage or during transport.

4Cleaning duck tummies.... Empty Re: Cleaning duck tummies.... Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:20 am

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

not if you keep them in deep clean shavings.

5Cleaning duck tummies.... Empty Re: Cleaning duck tummies.... Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:49 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

I usually transport in deep clean hay....would shavings be better?

6Cleaning duck tummies.... Empty Re: Cleaning duck tummies.... Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:50 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

shavings absorb more than hay will

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum