Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The mantis rototiller

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The mantis rototiller Empty The mantis rototiller Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:59 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is worthy of a post. About 12 years ago, back on the coast, back in my old life, before we did much clearing of 3 acres of our treed property, I bought a Mantis rototiller. If you google Mantis rototiller, you will find information about this little mean machine.

After 12 years, this baby is still going strong. It is quiet, it is powerful and it is lightweight (think about 18 pounds or so), it is expensive, I paid about $500 so many years ago, not sure what the cost these days would be, but I will probably buy a new one, more updated one. I think the new models have a Honda engine, and Honda is good, not sure, but something is flagged in the back of my mind about a new style engine.

This puppy has done land clearing. I am not kidding you, the power of this little rototiller is nothing short of something amazing, and has spent hundreds of hours working for me. It is lightweight, you can pick it up by the handle (anyone got a Mantis? you know what I mean) and carry it around. This little dude can bump rocks that are larger than a softball out of the ground. It hits a rock and bumps it out, seriously, literally, bumps it out and you pick the rock up. Don't ask me how, but it does not break tines, lifetime warranty on the tines, but the rocks leave the earth. Back on the Lower Mainland, the soil was quite rocky and we worked together for years clearing land, that little dude and myself. It will till holes, deep as you can stand in. It is so light you put the machine where you want, push it in the earth, pull it back out with the earth that comes along with pulling it back out. It can till as deep or as shallow as you choose. I can't say enough about my Mantis, my friend, my powerful little friend. I do not exaggerate, nor am I embellishing with this information. it is powerful.

It can take a compost pile that is as big as three 6-foot humans in length, width and the height of one person and move that earth, as you pull back on it, moving the earth with you. It can push stuff around, or pull stuff, do with it what you will.

Nope, I don't have shares in this company, just have a small machine that has been nothing short of marvelous with what it has done. Years of working with it, years of it never giving up. About 4 years ago, my Son-in-Law put a carb kit in it, that is it. The little fuel tank that holds about 4 litres will work for about 3-4 hours on this amount of fuel. It is quiet, seriously, so quiet, it is not offensive to any ear that would listen to it.

I would love to hear others' comments, if you own a Mantis. Toot that horn for the Mantis rototiller if you have one. If ever I was to buy another, the same brand would be brought home to my place. The mantis even outperformed our great big one, the rear tined Husquavrna big dude. Took somewhat longer to do a job, but still, outperformed the dude!! Have a beautiful and wonderful day, CynthiaM.

2The mantis rototiller Empty Re: The mantis rototiller Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:35 pm

samwise

samwise

I've heard of those and what they can all do, and considered buying one. After reading your post I like what I'm hearing. My main concern would be that my garden is pretty big (like 50ft x 70ft if I remember correctly), and a small tiller like that would probably take a really long time to till the whole thing.

3The mantis rototiller Empty Re: The mantis rototiller Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:47 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Samwise, yes, the swath that the machine takes is not that big, I would say 20 inches. But I have done quite a large garden and it took a little while, but the ease and ability to go as deep or shallow as you want beats it all. I should go and measure one of my gardens in particular. I venture it is about 50 feet by 20, I would say it takes about an hour or so, but really, don't know for sure. It is nothing short of amazing. I'll walk that garden today while I am around and post the approximate size of it. I know it took me about an hour when I did that garden. have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum