Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My gift of a Mantis rototiller

+7
Bowker Acres
bcboy
Schipperkesue
bckev
KathyS
coopslave
CynthiaM
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, just like the title says. I got a gift. An incredible gift for Christmas. It was a bit of money, so my Husband, kids and a dear friend all pitched in to buy me a Mantis rototiller. Yep. That is what I wanted. Now all people involved in the purchase of the machine all benefit from it. Know how? By the food that is produced from the land that I cultivate. We all benefit, so guess we could call it a communal gift, smiling.

Yep. At the holiday celebration at oldest Daughter’s home, I got a teeny tiny little box. I thought it was going to be a ring, or a necklace, but look what was inside.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yep, a picture of a beautiful little machine that will be my pal for the next umpteen dozen years, smiling. Guess that is an embellishment in time, but it will be by me. My partner in crime when I work outside, to create food for our tables and our bellies.

I had a Mantis rototiller for over 15 years. Back in the old life on the rocky, wet coast of BC, I had performed massive cultivation with my little ol’ friend. Years and years of working the land. From land that had already had existing gardens, to recreating beautiful cultivated land from the rough. And I mean rough. The coast is full of rocks. But if you work really hard, you can have land that will eventually become very good and rich and soft. That is what I had in my garden areas. Beautiful soil, for over 20 years that soil had been amended and it was like the soil from the very deltas of the earth itself. Beautiful soil.

That little machine worked so hard for me. Then my Sister came and moved with her big clan to our property. We both worked the land, and guess what? She built new gardens of her own, masses of new gardens, using my little Mantis to help her do the work. It worked hard. We moved away to the Okanagan, that little dude came with us. But getting tired. I have fought to keep (along with my poor Sons-in-Law and Husband that have done everything in their power to make this little fellow happy and do the chores) the machine going strong. But it is tired, the carb kits, the cleaning of parts, blowing out the exhaust, nothing could keep it going this year. So it took me so long to work the earth, much of it done with a pitch fork and when the Mantis could work, it tried. Kept dropping hints all summer that I needed a new baby for the next cultivation year. My only wish for a gift, a new rototiller.

Now you have to understand what a Mantis rototiller is all about. I am sure I have some forum friends that possess this machine. And I would like to hear who does....this is power, all power that you ever imagine for something that weighs about 20 pounds, sounds more quiet than a chainsaw and can bump rocks out of the earth that are larger than a softball. Serious. The machine will encounter a rock, the rock will literally bump out of the soil and be pushed off to the side, to be pitched somewhere by the worker.

This picture below is the rock pile that was near my apiary, back on the coast, about 80% of the rocks in that pile were bumped out of the rocky soil by this machine. The big rocks, well, that is man labour, or should I say woman labour.....look at those thousands upon thousands of rocks, bumped out of the earth or sitting on top of the earth...that rock pile was even bigger by the time we had moved away. And boy, after years of pitching rocks onto that pile, I am accurate with hitting specified areas with rocks, as accurately as I can type, smiling. And that is accurate, let me tell ya.

Yep, powerful little machine, and I mean little, so lightweight, so powerful. The engine was a good enough size I suppose in the old fellow, but was a two stroke engine, so gas had to be mixed with oil.

My new rototiller that will be coming in January sometime is a four stroke. I think the engine of the old one was a 3 horse power, this one is a five horse power and because of the advance to four stroke, I don’t have to mix the gas anymore. Ya, now doesn’t that fix time itself. The design of the arms and handle of the machine are quite different, but the width of the tines and body I think are similar. Oh, there is a lifetime guarantee on the tines, says alot eh? Haven’t really seen the machine yet, only the picture, but I know well in my heart that this little dude will outperform even what the old dude did in his prime. I am thrilled half to death. But there is nothing to till here in January. Can’t find the earth, it is covered with over 2 feet of snow. Wonder if I could practice in the snow banks from the plowing of our driveway? Hmm....I need to work on something when it comes....Well....we are going to the coast in February for a family reunion, I bet they have some earth down there. Hey, actually, my Sister moved to a new place that has a good many existing gardens to ready for the vegetable planting. I know I can find dark earth. Maybe I will bring it down there and try it out, she would love that.

Oooooh ya. I am a happy woman. Doesn’t take much to thrill me when it comes to things for the gardens, oh happy day.

These are the garden areas that I mostly work for the production of food. There are other gardens, but they are flower gardens and these days, playing in food dirt is more fun. Done with the flower garden growing, I let Daughter take care of that one, and she does a beautiful job. Enjoy the pictures and the narration whilst you take a walk by my side, to the gardens of my life. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

This is the main garden where I grow the foods that are gathered frequently, like lettuce and such, things that need a little more care. Yes, so this is what this beast will be up to this year with me. Lots of composting stuff and manures to till under, it is going to work hard, and I am going to help it.

A closer look at this area, yes, that is garlic growing in the back. Oh, oh, oh, and look at the house. Look at the part where you see the door, to the right. That is the room where Daughter told me to bring my incubator into, so there is no problem with trying to keep the incubator area warm in the chicken house. That is a huge room!!

This is looking from the south to the north. That entire length of garden housed the cucumbers, grown on livestock wire so they go up instead of growing all along the ground. Also had a good sized area alongside the fence for the pole beans. At the end of this garden was the tomato area, the squashes grew in the middle area.

Looking at the entire length of the above picture. The corn and banana squash grew down by the very end. Of course this year crop rotation of some things. Different ideas on where I will grow stuff. The edamame beans grew all alongside the rock border on the left. Really? Never knew that edamame beans grew so easily, gotta love those beans. Tempted now to get some jicima seed and see if I can start it early if it would come to maturity to gather the root. I believe it takes a good 7 months to get a good sized jicima root, but hey, I do like baby bulbs too!!

Thought I would throw in a picture of one of the areas where I let dill free seed and grow. May have to control that a bit better this year, I have other plans for that spot.

2My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:06 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

What a great gift!!!
You talk about these rototillers often and I have vowed to look into one in the spring. I don't think I can afford it this year. I already have a very little light one that does the job, just barely. I truly would like one like youhave though.

Have fun with it and look forward to the bountious harvest you get from the garden!

3My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is nothing nicer than recieving such a useful, practical and thoughtful gift! Especially one that turns your thoughts to springtime and gardening when it is still the dead of winter. sunny

Your photos are lovely and inspiring. My gardens (flower, vegetable and herb gardens) are always a work in progress and I love seeing how others arrange theirs.
One especially thoughtful gift I received this Christmas was a gift pack from Landreth's seed company "The Oldest Seed House in America". Smile The gift pack contains the seed catalogue and a selection of heirloom seed packets. Things I've never grown before such as little yellow melons, Chervena Chujksi Peppers, purple tomatoes and eggplant. So I'm pumped for spring time too!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What a great looking place you have. I have the honda version of your little tiller. One of the jobs it does for me is when I clean out the chicken coop in the spring. I use the tiller in there first to loosen and mix everything up. I use peat moss with some shaving for my floor bedding. The little tiller does a great job mixing it all up and making it easier to shovel out. Then it goes into the compost pile and breaks down really quickly. I borrowed a friends mantis before I bought this one and have to say there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between them. The mantis was a good machine, the honda was on sale and cheaper.
I wish I had the amount of flat land that you do.

5My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Always wanted one and I will get one yet ! But WOW do you have a lot of garden indeed ! Unreal to think that the Mantis will be tilling all that ........great pictures ,love it !

6My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:05 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is funny, i looked at your pictures again and I think I bought some sheep off your husband a few years ago, the house looked very familiar.

7My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

bckev wrote:It is funny, i looked at your pictures again and I think I bought some sheep off your husband a few years ago, the house looked very familiar.

Hee, hee, this has made me laugh. We moved to our Daughter's farm here two and one half years ago. They lived on the farm two years prior to that. So, beyond four years history, perhaps. Who knows what the original owner did. Maybe sheep, I kind of don't think so, think they were into horses only -- but honestly who knows. You most certainly did not buy sheep from my Husband, smiling.....we are in Grindrod...was that where you bought sheep from, could have been the prior owners, as I said.

Interesting to hear that the Honda version is similar to the mantis version, bckev. I think mantis did make a model that used a Honda engine, pretty sure, from the cobwebs of my mind, I recall someone telling me that, not for sure, but possible. Ya, pretty amazing little machines, but for how long they run like a workhorse, (had my old one for over 15 years), they sure pack a whole lotta power and energy. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

8My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes it was grindrod, turn down past surecrop, I am thinking though that it might have been your neigbours place. I remember driving into place which I think was yours but realizing it was the wrong and having to go further down. It might have been before you time though. It sticks in my mind becuase I remember thinking about how much I like the layout, and flat land of course, as I live on mountainous property. Hard to say for sure but the pictures sure twigged me.
Yes they are great little machines and doa lot of work for their size. I have had some minor problems with mine and the fuel delivery. The tines are slightly different on mine than on the Mantis.

9My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:45 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

bckev, things are so funny, now aren't they. If you had to turn down a road to get to this place, after Surecrop (that is if you are travelling north on 97A), then that definitely was not our place. That road was probably Grindrod Westside road. This is a funny place. That road is west of the traintracks, so before the traintracks you turn left on the road, travelling on the highway over the traintracks, there is another road, right beside the traintracks and it is called Grindrod Eastside road. That to me is just so funny, funny, funny. Two roads, running adjacent to each other, separated by traintracks, west and east, hee, hee. Ya...we are not off the highway 97A. We are right on it, just before one makes the corner that Surecrop is on. So if you ever drive by, honk, I may be outside and see ya driving Razz . I like how the tines on the Mantis can be changed from one side to the other to do deep tilling or light cultivating. Praise be the Mantis!! If anyone is thinking of purchasing one, almost bet my bottom dollar you would be impressed. I like it also because it is so light, so quiet, and thinkin' the new four stroke may be even more quiet than a two stroke (or is it the other way around, maybe the new one will be nosier Shocked ). also, that little beast is so light it can cultivate in the teeny tiniest places without hauling ya all over the map. Amazing how close you can get to a planted area using the shallow cultivator turned-around-tines. Oh ya, even forgot to mention. This Mantis can dig a deep hole too Cool Serious. It really can, just keep it in one spot, pulling out the dirt and pushing it back in the hole. Been there, done that one too. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

10My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mmmm...think I need one!

11My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, Sue, for sure. You do Razz Oh I bought mine, the first one and the last one, from Vesey's Seeds in New Brunswick (think that is where they originate). Husband looked at all the options and that seemed the best. And....if you want to go on a payment plan, they will do that. Think 5 payments, so that works and works well for many people I know. Bet they are going to have a whole lotta orders for this power machine!! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

12My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:37 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a ECHO TC-210i Tiller/Cultivator. It has a 2stroke motor too. I think Mantis has sold Echo renamed Rototillers. I love the the tiller and so does everyone else that has borrowed it.Laughing Does yours look like this?

They sell them at Home depot and Savoy Equipment.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by bcboy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

13My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh geez, bckev. Ya, that looks pretty much like my old one, but this picture is much nicer looking, smiling. Mine is old and beat up. I should go out today and get a picture of my poor ol' dude. He is all beat up, but I know if a new motor was put in him he would work like the day he was ever born. I wonder if they sell motors for the mantis. I remember someone talking about echo and mantis. Think they are the same machine. When my new unit is assembled (probably comes not assembled, a fun thing for my Hubby to do) is will put a picture into this thread and maybe tomorrow a picture of my old boy. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

14My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Holly cow,mantis has a sale on them now. Mantis Classic 2-Cycle Tiller/Cultivator Only…Price: $299.00
Your Name:
Print Chat

Email Chat
History:
A customer service agent will be with you momentarily.

[Wendy] Hello, my name is Wendy, how can I help you?
[kimball] what would shipping cost to vernon bc canada v1b3b4?
[Wendy] We do not ship to Canada, we have a Canadian Distributor, Vesey's Seeds, you can reach them 800-363-7333, or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[Wendy] Can I help you with anything else today?
[kimball] The price of the tiller over their is twice the cost? When will you guy be shipping to Canada?
[Wendy] We used to ship to Canada, however, after the cost of duty, and taxes, it was more affordable for our customers to buy through local dealerships. We also have dealers throughout the country. Would you like me to see if we have someone near you?
[kimball] I have have bought lots of other products from the States and the ship fedex, USP or USPS.
[kimball] ok
[Wendy] SAVOY EQUIPMENT
3202 - 29TH STREET
VERNON
CANADA BC V1T 5B1
Phone # 250-545-0627
Fax # 250-545-7366

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
KELOWNA CHAINSAWS LTD
1060 LEATHEAD RD

KELOWNA BC V1X 2K1
Phone # 250-491-9230
Fax # 250-491-9231

[Wendy] These are our two closest dealers to the postal code you provided.
[kimball] do you resell your product to be renamed?
[kimball] Echo
21.2cc Tiller And Cultivator
[Wendy] No, they are Mantis Tillers, or LittleWonder Blowers,
[Wendy] Echo makes our engines.
[kimball] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[kimball] looks idenical
[Wendy] We also do sell our products on line, and through some box stores, Home Depot, Tractor Supply Stores, Ace Hardware, Sears, to name a few. You can also find them on Amazon, Ebay, and other on-line outlets.
[kimball] Thanks for your time and Enjoy your day.
[Wendy] Thank you for visiting Mantis today. It was a pleasure to assist you. You will now be disconnected from this session. The Chat window will remain open until you close it. Have a great day.

I went looking on ebay.

Last edited by bcboy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

15My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shocked . Now plain English please. What is the bottom line here? Mantis is actually not really Mantis. It is Echo engine, body is Mantis. Not getting something here. Remember, this is a gal that does not understand things correctly and needs plain as plain can be. Think dummy.... Razz

Gonna probably have a look and see if they off the model that is four stroke at such a low price....maybe we got to a'payin' too much for the one we ordered...sigh. Such is life ways I suppose. Thanks for that information, now you got me a'thinkin' and a 'thinkin' I shall go. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

16My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

My Mantis came yesterday, now Husband will begin to assemble....he absolutely LOVES to assemble stuff -- me I can't stand doing that thing, no patience for that stuff at all. I will have a nice picture for tomorrow morning. Still need to get to the bottom of some things, just put stuff on the back burner. Is Mantis and Echo the same, only Echo is the name given to a Mantis tiller that has been imported to Canada to be resold by the large companies. Blah. Just not getting this at all, sigh. Oh well. I am happy, I got my Mantis, from Vesey's, back east....gonna be doing a whole lotta fun stuff as soon as the earth thaws and and I can brown dirt. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

17My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:53 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Woo hoo, the Mantis is here! The Mantis is here!

Are you going to go outside to churn up some snow, Cynthia?

18My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am patiently waiting for an update. We had a snow day yesterday and I ordered one, along with some seeds. I am crazy excited. Spring can not come fast enough.

19My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was just thinking the same thing today Bowkers.
I need to get my seed ordered too.

20My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:00 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is SUCH AN EXCITING THREAD. Seriously. I am rooting for CynthiaM and her garden!!! Bring her Spring!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

21My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I seriously need to know the specs on that little baby. There were a lot of options when I ordered mine. You have a choice between 2-cycle and 4-cycle and there is a delux model for each. Soooooo many choices. I talked to hubby and we went with the 4-cycle model, What did you get Cynthia???

22My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

you ahve a fantastic looking place, a place to die for, and love your gardens mine do not compare and I have a massive garden here and the cabin. Maybe I need one to.

http://www.popscoops.com

23My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does it come with a snow blower attachment? Maybe for next Christmas in your stocking. You are going to rototil the countryside!

24My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:08 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Does it come with a snow blower attachment? Maybe for next Christmas in your stocking.

Nope got Son-in-Law and his bobcat with the plough attachment for that, and man labour, my Husband loves to wield a shovel you know Twisted Evil

This is for you Bowker!! I think you ordered the same one as me. There was the option of the two or four cycle. My old Mantis was a two cycle, oil had to be mixed with the gas. I thought it would be really neat to not have to mix oil and so ordered the four cycle. Mine is the deluxe model I see. I didn't order it,but guess Hubby thought to go for four cycle. I am so fortunate that so many people want to contribute to me working my brains out this summer to provide food for all our tables, smiling. Blessed woman I am. In all honesty, who in their right mind would really want that as a Christmas present? Really? Guess only one that loves to play in dirt, in any form that it can be done. Guess that is me. I am itching and I just can't stand it, to get down and dirty in the soil with my new mean machine. I picture in my mind's eye, those good times I would have for hours on end, with my old friend, that Mantis, moving earth, rocks, cultivating, tilling, it was my buddy. How can one be attached to something like this? I don't know, but I am, it is going to be hard to let it go....but, now guess what?

Mantis has a lifetime guarantee on the tines. This poor ol sole had a piece of a tine broken on each tine, one on the right and one on the left. I called Vesey's the other day, to report that the tines had broken a piece of each one on each side. No problem. Gave the serial number of the unit to the repair fellow and he said he would send two new tines out in the mail. I asked if he wanted me to box up and send the broken pair, he said no. Oh my Gordon, you gotta be kidding I thought to myself. What if I was a dishonest person and really did not have broken tines. Now that is trust I guess. Would never betray that anyways, but holy smokes. Ya, so new tines are coming for my old fellow.

And....now my Husband is thinking. He loves my Sister. My youngest Sister I speak of. The one that lived with her Hubby and 6 kids on our farm for the last 5 years that we lived there. He knows that she is a farmer at heart girl too. They recently moved from Maple Ridge to a beautiful place in Surrey. A very, very beautiful and prestigious subdivision, which all has I would say at least one acre lots. She has a whole lotta established garden beds, big ones, small ones, even baby ball ones (don’t ask where that one came from). She is gonna have to do a whole lotta work with a pitchfork...unless....we give her our old Mantis. She worked that fellow has hard as I did on the farm, so many years ago, probably even harder than me, cause she was making new garden beds, from bare, untouched earth. So Hubby got to a’thinkin’ and came up with a plan. I know my old buddy still works, just has lost some of the strength he once had, he is weak and old. I asked when I ordered the new tines, what year the unit had been bought in. Vesey’s keeps records of course, and it was 2005. Not really as long ago as I had thought, from those cobwebs of my mind, but yes, so he is coming up 8 years old. Probably about 80 years old in real time, if you counted hours and abuse. Say no more. Gapers, this was supposed to be a very short post, but looky at me now!!

So....Husband said, let’s get the old Mantis refurbished and give it to her for a late birthday present (you should see what she made my Husband for his early birthday present, that is another story for another time, coming). Love knows no boundaries, and he loves my baby Sista!! Ya, so, we took that poor ol’ soul into Vernon. To a place where they sell, work, repair and do things with small and big engines. Told them of the tired fellow and that we would like to have him all fixed up. Just like brand new. They said they would comply and he would be well again. That was about 4 days ago, and they said that they might have to order parts (and absolutely bet my bottom dollar a new carb kit too). Mantis will be like he was, so many years ago. And he is going to go and live with my Sister. I am thrilled. I know she loved this unit as much as I did, and will attest to the power that is held within that soul, if a machine could have a soul – I think everything has a soul, in one form or another. So on our coastal trip in February, late, think the 23rd date weekend, that ol’ fellow is coming in tow and we pay things forward. She has done wonderous things for us, it is coming back at her. I can’t even imagine how this will lighten her load as she works this machine, instead of that shovel and pitchfork that I know she would still happily employ. Boys, words, the flow so easily...

So, yes...there were choices (before I actually was given that little ring box that had a picture of the new Mantis in it for Christmas) of which new Mantis to get, ever should that day come. Husband and I had looked at the website and made a decision, for the future. I know that there was a tiller that was twice as wide as the one we chose. It had two tines on each side of the unit, it was wide, I think perhaps 18 inches wide. My old Mantis was only one tine on each side. And that did a wonderous job. I could see no reason to go for the double wide one. So opted to not. With the width of the two tined unit, it is very, very light and can go in and out and around some very tight places, the wider one would have had less ability. The machine is so powerful that it takes no effort to til (or cultivate, depending on which way the tines are turned around to do), it just means taking double the steps. And we all know that walking is very good for us, so I will walk that extra bit. I think the double wide one would have certainly done a much faster job of tilling, but I don’t care. Me likey walky.

Had enough? Yes, think I have rambled long enough about this subject and will answer your question Bowker Acre. Yes, the deluxe 4 cycle mantis tiller, one set of tines on each side, the model number is MT7264. Is that the same one you got? No clue what deluxe means, didn’t really look that hard, but maybe there is an undeluxe one, not sure, but bet my bottom dollar it would work pretty nearly as nicely as the deluxe. Four stroke, no mixing of gas anymore, love that!! This is what the new baby looks like. Husband has not yet had a chance to assemble it, but that is coming soon. I saw some earth somewhere the other day. Son-in-Law told me to just go dig up some snow in the garden and I could play, smiling, sneaky bugger eh? Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Yep, the box, with a golden beauty within....

25My gift of a Mantis rototiller Empty Re: My gift of a Mantis rototiller Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:22 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mmmm, so beautiful and sparkly. And those words, "no need to mix gas and oil!" are like poetry in my ear.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum