Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Worming Goats with Fenbendazole

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Worming Goats with Fenbendazole Empty Worming Goats with Fenbendazole Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:32 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

At this site they recommended dosage for goats is 5mL/100lb (10mL for tapeworm)

http://mdsheepgoat.blogspot.com/2006/08/double-dose-fenbendazole-for-goats.html

My question is this: I use fenbendazole on the dogs but you need to give it 3-5 days in a row to be effective.

Is one dose enough for goats or should I be giving 3-5 like with the dogs?

Sue

2Worming Goats with Fenbendazole Empty Re: Worming Goats with Fenbendazole Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:52 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, due to recent worming horrors I've done a little internet reading and found an article on worming that says the following:

" Interfering with energy metabolism is a much more basic mode of activity than those of other classes of dewormers. For this reason, the benzimidazoles (fenben) are also able to kill nematode eggs, a property not shared by other classes of dewormers......As a group they are more effective when given several days in a row....Panacur Power Pac which has a five day treatment regimen against migrating large strongyle larvae and encysted cyathostomes."

From, Parasite Primer, part B- Drgus for the Deworming War, by Karen Brigggs, with Craig Reinmeyer, DVM, PHD; Denny French, DVM; Ray Kaplan DVM. PHD. www.TheHorse.com

I'd say go ahead, just make sure your dosages are correct. It also said somewhere, but I can't find the exact quote, that often by the time a horse passes a tape worm, it is so mangled it rarely looks like a tape worm anymore. I don't know if the gut of a goat is the same, but expect things to not look as you expect. That made sense, didn't it.

3Worming Goats with Fenbendazole Empty Re: Worming Goats with Fenbendazole Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:00 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for that info, Uno. The one thing I really like about fenben is the fact it is almost impossible to overdose an animal on it, yet it is dynamite to the worms.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum