Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peafowl and Guinea hens

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Peafowl and Guinea hens Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:11 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

Hi all,as always you never get everything done that you want to get done done, so my outside pens will have to wait for new year. This is my first winter with guinea hens in my barn, well the first everything with Guinea hens. Right now they are in a pen by themselves, but they are growing out of their pen I was thinking of opening the wire up in between them and the peacocks.Good idea or not? Any advice? And holly man do guineas eat omg! and my peacocks don't eat much so are the guineas going to eat all the food on them? Or should I put the peacocks in a smaller pen for winter? (the pen I have the guineas in is about 6X8 and the peacock pen is 8X16. I have just a pair of peacocks and around 12 guineas. I will take any suggestions. Question thanks Kristy

2Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:32 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do not worry Guineas and peafowl will winter well together, I find it strange my peafowl eat more that my guineas

http://www.popscoops.com

3Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wish I could help, but I've never had peacocks. As for the guineas, they seem to fit in well with everyone, but they don't particularly like roosters. I almost thought of keeping them in with the roosters over winter to stop the fighting, but am not sure...-I'm sure someone here with more knowledge will be able to answer your question Smile Good luck!

4Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find my guineas are terrible waster's of food, so maybe they are not eating more just wasting more??
I have seen lots of people that winter guineas and peafowl together, so I think you would be ok. I do find the guineas pull the tail feathers out of my chickens so watch for that on your peafowl.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh ok I guess there is your answer Smile Must have been posting at the same time Smile

6Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:59 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am housing my guineas with my roosters this year

http://www.popscoops.com

7Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:01 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

Thanks guys, good point maybe they are just wasting feed. Well I guess on the weekend when I am cleaning my barn I will take down the wire and hope for a good winter. Smile

8Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

pops coops wrote:I am housing my guineas with my roosters this year

I'm doing something similar, only putting my guinea hens with my hens and my lone cock with my roosters. Hopefully this will keep everyone happy. And the chickens can clean up after the guineas, because yes they are messy and wasteful!

9Peafowl and Guinea hens Empty Re: Peafowl and Guinea hens Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:26 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

Well today I opened the wire and let my guineas in with my peacocks.It was a bit noisy, and feathers are alittle ruffled. Hopefully everyone will settle in. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum