Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wyandotte Combs

+2
Island Girl
DoubleSSRanch
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wyandotte Combs Empty Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have 6 very nice BLRW pullets from MMcM. They are about 5 months old now. I noticed that 3 of them have this little bump at the top of their comb. The other 3 have perfect wyandotte rose combs. The 3 with the bump have normal combs too, aside from this little.. bump. Its perfect round, right at the very top. Their combs dont form the little point theyre supposed to. Bump instead. No pics sorry, ill search google, see if I find anything similar.

I am going to assume this is heriditary? So I should get rid of these 3, not use them in the breeding pen next year like I had planned? They are all very nice pullets, would be such a shame. Id like to know what caused this.

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

2Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ahhh the Wyandotte comb! I've had my bout with the telescoping comb. Very frustrating and I appear to be a little comb 'picky'. I decided not to use my roo with the 'imperfect' comb but others might and then breed it out later. I would rather just start with a good comb. Personal choice Very Happy It would be great to see a picture if at all possible.

XOX Monika

3Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:36 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a slw from same place who got dq'd for telescoping comb. It's too bad really as her lacing and size is really nice!
I would not breed them as it seems to be passed along easily.

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

4Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:43 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

i wouldnt breed from it either. my line of white rocks has stubs, and even though some of the birds that have it are real good, they all are getting culled.

5Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:21 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I tend to agree with the others on this. I know in another thread I have said I would use a bad comb, but I think in your case it is best to use one of your birds with a good comb.
The comb sounds like it may be telescoping comb. I think there are enough good combed, nice typed wyandottes out there that you shouldn`t have to use a comb fault in your line and pay the price in the years to come.
I like to hear all of the conscious breeders doing the right thing with their selection to improve their flocks. It means we are really going to be getting some nice lines of birds in the next few years!
If you decide to use a bird with a fault, do it with eyes open. Expect heavy culling for some years and surprises that could pop up later. If you are not game for this just don`t do it. Definately don`t sell day olds to people the year you do it and have them deal with the troubles, that`s for sure.

6Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:02 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

coopslave i agree! even on the birds that dont have it there is a chance it is in their bloodline because they all are from the same place.

7Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:39 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very good advice Coopslave. It's good to see people thinking a little before they put the birds in the breeding pens and questioning what are the good and more importantly the bad points of the birds they are thinking of using in their program. If people continue to do this it will help improve so many breeds in western Canada.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

8Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well I can guarantee its not telescoping comb. I need to get pics. It looks like a round bump, like a pimple lol Not sure how else to explain it. The other pullets go into the pretty point theyre supposed to, these just have that bump. Ill see if I can get some pics tomorrow. I am not going to use them in the breeding pen. Just add to my layer flock! Only thing they will make is my future laying birds... which are mutts I love you

But anyhow, I am just really curious what causes this. Is it some throwback to some crossbred in there somewhere or what. Its almost like theres 1 point of a single comb that wants to come in, but its not that big, I only just noticed them about a week ago, took this long for them to get big enough to really notice. I look at those chooks pretty little heads every morning lol

9Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

DoubleSSranch- If you got a picture of one of the good combs as well as the ones you are questioning for comparision sake that would be good.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

10Wyandotte Combs Empty Re: Wyandotte Combs Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:40 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

viczoe wrote:DoubleSSranch- If you got a picture of one of the good combs as well as the ones you are questioning for comparision sake that would be good.

Heather

I will do that this morning when I do chores Laughing They come flying out of the tractor at me, hopefully I can catch the right ones Shocked Friendly little critters they are

(p.s. heather I want to bug you about your bantam rocks... see if you may have any pairs comming up)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum