Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Car sickness in dogs

+5
Hillbilly
nuthatch333
Hidden River
SerJay
Susan
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Car sickness in dogs Empty Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I just took my puppy, Grace to the vet for her shots. It took all of 7 minutes to get there. In that time she threw up twice. Same on the way home. Any tips for preventing this?

2Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:54 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My grandparents had this problem with their little dogs so he got a couple of those straps that hang down off the back of the vehicle. I think you can get them at canadian tire not entirely sure though. Apparently they worked for him

3Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find the more they ride with you the better they get. Not great when they are making a mess in your vehicle...A kennel helps them stay safe, feel safe and keeps your car cleaner.
My SIL uses gravol for her dog, but that really makes them tired, and you need to give it 30 minutes in advance to make sure it kicks in before you leave home.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think just like people some dogs are just prone to car sickness.
My mother used to get car sick, and sitting in the front seat seemed to help. On the other hand I knew a man that had a dog that just always got sick in the car no matter what. He ended up just not taking the dog anywhere, it just stayed on the farm.
(of course my father did not have that option, lol)

5Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

One key to beating motion sickness, is always watching where you're going. When you're on the ocean, always watch the horizon, and you will rarely get sick.
My thoughts would be to treat the dog the same. Allow it to watch where it is going.

6Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh great lol! Then she can puke in the front seat- at least the seats are leather-easier to clean!! Its true though. My mom can only ride in the front seat. She gets motion sick very easily. Guess I'll try it and do it a little more often. Maybe I'll get a barf bag Smile

7Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:44 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a great dog that threw up when you put her in a car and she never got over it ever ever ever.

http://www.popscoops.com

8Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:47 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yep, had a dog like that. We used to not feed him the morning before a car ride. That was enough to stop the puking. Anytime we forgot or did not plan in advance was....messy No

9Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm

If she'll take it, give her a piece of candied ginger before you leave. That will help if you can get it in her. Poor pup.

10Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:55 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a border collie that used to get car sick. No matter how hard I would try to get her used to a car, she would also get sick.

Then one day I tried giving her a Gravol pill 1/2 hour before going to the vet. Worked like a charm. She not only wasn't sick but the Gravol also calmed her down.

11Car sickness in dogs Empty Re: Car sickness in dogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:03 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Some puppies will out grow it some wont. Definatly try not feeding her before you go ( but make sure she eats as soon as possible when appropriate). You can try gravol or ask your vet for Cerenia. Its a little pricey but they do not get groggy with it. Most vets will dispense it for motion sickness.

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum