Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

crooked toe - genetic flaw or incubator caused

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So I was sitting down having a good look at my three mille fleur d'uccles that are about 10 weeks old now. I noticed one of the has an extremely crooked toe. It almost looks like it was broken and then set completley sideways. I do remember one of them having a curled toe at hatch but I never noticed anything until now. Is this possbibly a genetic flaw or from the incubator? I am trying to decide between these three boys who to keep. And do want to show so I guess he's out in this respect but maybe could be a back up breeder?

Any thoughts anyone?

Smile

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would discard him as a breeder myself unless there are pretty big faults with the other two. I have used a rooster with crooked toes, but only because it was late in the season and I had trouble finding a rooster when I got the crooked toed rooster. I then examined the off spring closely for this fault.

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am going to wait a few months to decide still so hopefully the other two will be better candidates!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Usually incubator temperature. Can also be caused by riboflavin deficiency or too-smooth brooder floors, or overcrowding in brooder. More rarely, but apparently indistinuishable from other causes, an autosomal recessive gene (so has to be inherited from both parents).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum