Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Wanted Breed of Poultry

+20
SerJay
BriarwoodPoultry
pops coops
coopslave
mirycreek
ipf
CynthiaM
toybarons
Susan
dj
Blue Hill Farm
Bowker Acres
k.r.l
clucky
Cathyjk
turkeylurkey
Hidden River
Schipperkesue
Rosie C
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Most Wanted Breed of Poultry - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Wanted Breed of Poultry Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:08 pm

I have three that I would like , Copper Black Marans , Orloffs ,and last but not least Auburn Javas .I love the colors on the Javas .

27Most Wanted Breed of Poultry - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Wanted Breed of Poultry Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm

gubi

some show quality Appenzeller Spitzhauben in every colour available, silver spangled, gold spangled, chamois spangled, blue and black.

28Most Wanted Breed of Poultry - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Wanted Breed of Poultry Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:
CynthiaM wrote:I saw a picture of Mirycreek's of a Russian Spangled Orloff, now that was one cooooool lookin' bird and she said the personality were like the Buckeye. I like that. Think that would be on my wish list. Have a wonderful and beautiful day, CynthiaM.

1 nice rooster.....can travel...to a show near you....the Canadian National in November...ha ha!

Oh girl, bring it on, or send Ethan with it, sounds like you have to stay home to look after his birds, smiling. I think, seriously, that you should send that cockerel along, with your Son and Hubby, I would love to meet that particular dude (the bird, met your Son already, smiling, when he had those 10 lil' Buckeye hatching eggs in tow, probably on his lap, all the way here, last September, so am speaking of the Russian Orlop, I am drooling, thinking of the look of that fellow, a few months from now). Thinkin' he would be defined as a cock bird by then? What is the age of that Orloff cockerel???? Oh dreams, sometimes dreams DO come true, beautiful days, with those same beautiful nights, CynthiaM.

29Most Wanted Breed of Poultry - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Wanted Breed of Poultry Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:26 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

My wish list if for a quality Columbian and Gold Laced Wyandotte roosters. I had a disappointing year as I ordered some from a hatchery that cancelled the order. I also did a swap that gave me a single GLW pullet which I sold. I was hoping to find some BLRW hatching eggs from stock not commonly available. I have a Light Brahma rooster that I like, but again need to find some good hens. I sold some Buff Brahmas as the rooster was too protective of his flock and I did find some nice Black Cochins.

30Most Wanted Breed of Poultry - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Wanted Breed of Poultry Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:05 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My wish list includes getting some really poor quality Buff Orpingtons, some Cuckoo Marans whose eggs aren't nearly dark enough and some Bronze Trukeys that won't breed.

Might as well keep my goals attainable.

31Most Wanted Breed of Poultry - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Wanted Breed of Poultry Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Finch & Opal

Finch & Opal
New Here

As a city chicken person, I'm mostly interested in nice and nice looking birds that lay well. Also would love a variety of egg colours. I love my current flock... 7 girls, 7 breeds. Although I would sacrifice my RIR for a maran with lovely dark eggs. Definitely what's missing in my egg carton.

Also, as a city chicken person, I'm finding it a little challenging to get what I want. This is our first year with chickens,so we got 20 chicks of mixed breeds, and sold or gave away the boys and extra girls. That works, and was fun while it lasted, but doesn't really work for we city folk. Hopefully Red Deer will pass a pro-chicken bylaw before too long, and this bylaw could potentially contain such statements as the age of chickens you're allowed to keep (as in perhaps no chicks), how many, and no roosters. Well we would have violated this on many fronts. It seems hard to find girls without the boys in a breed you want. It's completely understandable why it works this way, it just makes it hard for a person wanting urban hens. We know a few city people on the verge of building their own coops and hopping on the urban hen bandwagen... except I don't know where to point them for some hens!

SO, the point is this: for you Central Albertans, as this gets more popular there will be more and more people willing to pay a reasonable price for hens of various breeds. And by reasonable I mean above what everyone usually asks! No, I don't think $20 is very reasonable. People who will be keeping 3 to 6 hens will be willing to pay more for what they want. Just something to keep in mind. Thanks!

32Most Wanted Breed of Poultry - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Wanted Breed of Poultry Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Finch & Opal wrote:As a city chicken person, I'm mostly interested in nice and nice looking birds that lay well. Also would love a variety of egg colours. I love my current flock... 7 girls, 7 breeds. Although I would sacrifice my RIR for a maran with lovely dark eggs. Definitely what's missing in my egg carton.

Also, as a city chicken person, I'm finding it a little challenging to get what I want. This is our first year with chickens,so we got 20 chicks of mixed breeds, and sold or gave away the boys and extra girls. That works, and was fun while it lasted, but doesn't really work for we city folk. Hopefully Red Deer will pass a pro-chicken bylaw before too long, and this bylaw could potentially contain such statements as the age of chickens you're allowed to keep (as in perhaps no chicks), how many, and no roosters. Well we would have violated this on many fronts. It seems hard to find girls without the boys in a breed you want. It's completely understandable why it works this way, it just makes it hard for a person wanting urban hens. We know a few city people on the verge of building their own coops and hopping on the urban hen bandwagen... except I don't know where to point them for some hens!

SO, the point is this: for you Central Albertans, as this gets more popular there will be more and more people willing to pay a reasonable price for hens of various breeds. And by reasonable I mean above what everyone usually asks! No, I don't think $20 is very reasonable. People who will be keeping 3 to 6 hens will be willing to pay more for what they want. Just something to keep in mind. Thanks!

I completely agree with you on this and with the urban chicken people I do my best to accomodate them. I am willing to keep the roosters and send them to freezer camp if people are willing to pay the little extra to have just hens.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum