Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHB Seminar Pictures play by play

+9
coyoteacres
k.r.l
Schipperkesue
poplar girl
duanescows
loushrop
Blue Hill Farm
Hidden River
liz
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:52 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The seminar is all setup. The viewing area for the bathing section of the seminar. This is a tester for you guys who couldn't make it.

Well we will try to keep everyone updated.

Keep looking for updates.

2CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:38 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

well people are starting to file in! Still have room though!! Smile

3CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the picture updates Liz, I look forward to more.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh how cool. Thank you for taking pics and posting Liz. Smile

Bring on the updates! cheers

5CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:32 pm

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Rico talking to everyone about the reasons to show and some ins and outs.

Rico showing everyone how to properly hold a bird.

1st Bath ~ Shampoo and warm water.

2nd Bath ~ Vinegar and water rinse. This is to remove any remaining soap.

3rd Bath ~ Glycerol and water rinse. This is to put the shine and oils back on the feathers.

Wrapping bird up in towels. This is to soak up most of the water to reduce drying time.

Rico showing everyone how to blow dry a soft feathered bird.

Getting some weights of the birds.

We will post more about everything else we had a blast doing!

6CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:35 pm

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Turns out Diva has a slight weight issue. She plans to switch over to a more healthy diet and start walking to shed some pounds. The treat dish is always a temptation to this full figured gal.

7CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great pictures, thank you for the play by play.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:57 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks very much! I wish I could have been there. Lou

9CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:42 pm

duanescows

I just wanted to say Thanks to Liz for putting this on today everything went really good. I learned alot, ate way to much and got to visit with lots of nice people (some of whom I meet for the first time). I look forward to the next event.
Way to go Liz

10CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:08 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree, it was a very good day! Great to meet so many people. Just got home and put everyone to bed. Lots of new info to process over night.

Thanks Liz!

Thanks coyoteacres for the ride and the conversation!

11CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great event Liz! Turns out I got home at 4:30 for the event Doug wanted to attend by 5:00. He did not get home until 6:30! Grrr!

12CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:22 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congrats Canadian Heritage Breeds for the sucessful Showing Seminar! I sure enjoyed myself! My head is now filled with tons more info to set to use!

Glad to see so many people brought birds with them for the Critique. I find I learn better seeing the actual example inperson rather than just read it in a book.

Learned some about call ducks and pigeons which was something very interesting.

Had some very good conversations with most people but didn't get a chance to talk to everyone.

Looking forward to the next CHB Event!

13CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:23 pm

coyoteacres

coyoteacres

Poplar Girl, you are welcome. Glad to have some good company, and conversation.
It was a real informative session. Learned more than i expected. Met some more people and had a good day. Canadian Heritage Breeds did a wonderful job.
Also a big thanks to Liz, for hosting it.
And a big thanks to Mike for barbequing up some good non vegetarian eats.

Now to remember all I learned, and to put it to good use.

http://www.coyoteacresranch.com

14CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Want to thank everyone for their help and for attending making this event a success. Met new bird people didn't think this was possible since I have been beating the bushes in central Alberta for a few years now and thought I had met everyone. Casey's pigeon talk was very interesting will be including more pigeon talks each event. Pigeons are a great option for in town people. We were trying to throw the odd curve ball at Rico with certain chickens with unique faults and he caught them all. I again learned a lot from a man, wonders never cease! Received a beautiful Cornish Bantam Pullet from James Cuvelier to use in the CHB displays. I now a proud owner of 3 Ridley Bronze Turkey poults from Patric. I'm going to have to feed these little guys steroids to get them ready for the show in December. Special thanks to Steve and KRL for cleanup. These guys are crazy making clean up fun and they always have energy to make clean up fun. I feel bad that they have done clean up so often they know where everything goes !

Last edited by liz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

15CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:03 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

loushrop wrote:I wish I could have been there. Lou

^ Me too.

Glad to hear everyone had a blast. Smile Thanks again for the play by play!

16CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:16 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks like this was a very informative and successful event. I am sure we'll be seeing some impressive birds at upcoming shows as a result. Surprised

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

17CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

It was a good turnout and hopefully everyone got something out of the seminar. I definitely want to thanks Liz for the facility and for inviting the people.

Critiquing and talking about the birds is hopefully a win-win situation for everyone involved. I have been saying the same thing over and over again about the large chickens lag size in most cases. Bringing a scale out and weighing the birds hopefully was an eye opener for the people who keep the large birds. It was nice to see that most of the Chanteclers were all the proper weight.

Now we need to pass the knowledge you got into showing the birds. I'm sure we will see many more birds that will not be disqualified at the next show.

http://www.c-rducks.com

18CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:11 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I want to thank Judge Rico for his understanding of working with rare breeds. He knows how limited out genetic pool is,often leaving us with birds with DQ's to breed from. This is not the ideal thing to do but realistic I'm afraid with many breeds. One of the struggles I deal with is white earlobe
because of Ricos help with my breeding program I now have 2 Dorks with red earlobes. I can only imagine how hard it is for him to help me with this less than perfect breed. The main reason Rico agreed to be Pres. of Canadian Heritage Breeds to to help the rare breeds to become popular by helping breeders to work toward having birds that are close to the standard. One of the best ways to do this is by having shows in Alberta so we can network with other breeders from out of province and in the U.S.,at the same time seeing birds that closely represent the standard. Thanks for your understanding and keen eye. Looking forward to the next seminar

19CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:00 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

had alot of fun, and learned alot! can't wait till the next event!! Very Happy thanks CHB, liz, Rico, and Casey for all the valuable information! it was fun visiting with every one, and the food! i think i gained a few pounds from that BBQ! LOL

20CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wow, this looks as if it was quite an informative event. I hope we will have something similar in our area to attend. If not I may just have to try to organize one! Thanks so much for the pictures and please post stuff you have learned. There is so much to learn and I love it when people share their knowledge with the rest of us. Thank you!

XOX Monika

21CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Empty Re: CHB Seminar Pictures play by play Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:17 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I can't believe the info I take away for these seminars! It is a big help for us for our breeding programs. I now have some more valueable info to use when selecting the breeding birds from my none perfect heritage breed birds. I know I will have to pick my battles with some traits as my breeding program goes on.

It was very nice to see how a trait like a poor or wrong comb type maybe be a disqualification or point reduction in the show, it was put in great perspective that the comb is only worth 5 point of an overall 100 point grading system for birds.

I know my birds most of my birds may be undersized or have disqualifying trait but it won't stop me from entering my Rare heritage breed birds in shows as I hopefully make progress in their improvements! Great Job Canadian Heritage Breeds!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum