Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Standard and bantam cockerels/roosters living together

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

poplargirl's thread on her d'uccles prompted this question but I didn't want to hijack it. We are building a rooster house for all our young cockerels that are growing out and I would like to include my bantam cockerels to live long term with my standard cockerels. Ages of all of them right now are anywhere from 2 months to 6 months. The bantams have grown up with some of the standard cockerels and I'm getting ready to put them in a new grow out pen where they will share a yard (divided by a wire fence) with the other young cockerels they didn't grow up with, with the plan to remove the divider in 4 weeks. So my question is......

After a month of them being able to observe each other between the wire fence will the bantam cockerels be easily accepted by the standard cockerels they didn't grow up with?
And given the long integration, will my bantam cockerels be safe and unharmed living with standard cockerels long term, with the plan of taking them out for breeding once a year and putting them back in all together?

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

It really depend on the breeds I think, the bantams I raise are more dominant then my docile large fowl.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks chantecler. My bantams are the Cochin, Dutch and d'Uccle.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't raise any bantam breeds, but I do know someone who has an assortment of breeds and sizes all in one pen. Several roosters, some of which are bantams, all seem to co-exist in relative harmony. There have been times when she has had to give away or otherwise dispose of an aggressive roo, but for the most part, she makes it work.
I doubt if this method is possible with every breed, but she seems to have good luck anyway. Smile

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find the bantams and standards get along great, they just avoid each other, the bantams are so much more agile there really is no contest at all as they can always get away by flying straight up...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a shot then. I'm not concerned of an aggressive bantam on a standard roo short term but know an aggressive standard could kill the bantam and didn't want to set them up for that. I appreciate everyone's input.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum