Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free ranging ducks.

+3
Hidden River
Susan
DCChick
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Free ranging ducks.  Empty Free ranging ducks. Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have two Australian Spotted ducks about four or so months old. I have been keeping them penned up, but would like to free range them with my chickens. Is this a bad idea? And what are the chances that they will just leave? Do they go back into the coop at night like the chickens?

Last edited by DCChick on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

2Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Mine don't go to bed as early as the chickens, but they are easy to herd in. I say bedtime and spread my arms and we walk to the coop. If I'm late, I ususally find them there already. They do wander a bit more but not too far. They will make a beeline to any puddles though. They are also like that chickens in that when I call for scratch, they come running- valuable when you need to collect everyone during the day for whatever reason. I say go for it. They will be fine Smile

3Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just remember they can and will fly. I do let mine free range and they do well, they really don't hang out with the chickens, but love to be with their breed and the call ducks. Mine will fly around and never go too far. They will usually go to their coop but prefer to be outside if allowed overnight.
Remember the dangers though, they are smaller so are more prone to arial attacks and I lost one last year to crashing into a powerline.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have been checking out how to clip a wing to keep them a little less mobile, although it could make them more of "sitting ducks" for predators. Does anyone else clip wings?

5Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I did clip wings but can't honestly say if it worked as my spots didn't tend to fly at all. I can't free range here due to close proximity of predators and we can't be out with them all the time. They do come back...as long as you don't have a pond. That was my beginner mistake. They eventually came in...the ones that didn't end up as dinner.

I have happy customers in a rural area similar to ours and they're spots are out with them all the time. They are avid gardeners and the ducks are pretty much at their heels so predators won't bother them.

6Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Never clipped duck wings as none of myducks can fly.
But I didn't clip guinea fowl wings. Was easy and it worked. My ducks are out with the chickens and no they don't really want to be near each other. The ducks don't go into the coop at night, they stay out. They can't get out of the enclosure (it's about 2 acres) and have lots of places to nest. We have ravines and hawks and eagles. Haven't lost any birds to predators but I think in part that's because there are 6 maremmas in the pen next to them making lots of noise. Suprisingly the maremmas really don't care for ravines.

Winter was another story, I separated the ducks from the chickens--too messy.

7Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:28 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My ducks all freerange during the day while we're home. I don't have small ducks but they all go out starting at about 3+wks old. Right now I have 22 ducks ( and 2 geese) ranging from 4wks-3yrs and they do just fine they never go too far and are super easy to put away. My 3yr old can put them all away on his own in only a few mins. We just walk up behind them spread our arms and start to walk they'll walk ahead of us and right into the secure area without any trouble. I don't leave them out when we leave the yard as our dogs are not bird trustworthy and so we put them away at all times of the day. When we get home we let them back out again until evening.

8Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:34 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just lost a duck, predators I guess. I am a bad duck mom Crying or Very sad Normally I put them in the chicken coop at night, they free range in the day. Well last night it was midnight when we got home and no sign of one duck.

So be careful. Free ranging is a double edged sword.

9Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh no PG! Does that mean you are down to 1?

10Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yes, one lonely duck Susan Sad I am a bad duck keeper Crying or Very sad

11Free ranging ducks.  Empty Re: Free ranging ducks. Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh no that's sad poplar girl Sad That's one of the risks of letting them free range but as sad as it is to lose one I'm sure it enjoyed its life looking for puddles and hiding in the grass. Now your ducky needs a new buddy Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum