Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Cochin Chicks!

+3
viczoe
Blue Hill Farm
Schipperkesue
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Cochin Chicks!  Empty New Cochin Chicks! Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes Heather, big daddy is surely doing his job! I put 9 eggs under a broody Brahma and I have 5 little black cochin babies! Joe is a Grandpa!

I took them out of the ex-pen (babies can squeeze thru) and now they are all together in a giant dog crate. Isn't it wonderful how the dog hobby and the chicken hobby can share equipment!

2New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yet another good reason to own a dog! Razz

Congrats on your new chicks. Smile

3New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:25 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Good to hear Sue, you should be able to have something to show from them, in the Spring and I would expect with all the Cochins I have rehomed from Joe this year that I will start seeing large classes of L.F Cochins at the shows.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

4New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good news for the breed!

Sue

5New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Congrads on the Cochins hope they do well.

6New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congratts Sue on your hatch.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

7New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:56 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't have any hatching, but they are sure friendly chickens. They almost jump into your arms when you open the door to put in food and water. Each grand child here now has a Black Cochin of his or her own here. Apart from roosters and hens I'm not sure how we are going to decide which is which especially when they all matures. Heather, you probably will see 3 to 5 in September in this area with 2 immature chicks shown by their immature owners.

8New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:21 am

dj

Schipperkesue wrote:Yes Heather, big daddy is surely doing his job! I put 9 eggs under a broody Brahma and I have 5 little black cochin babies! Joe is a Grandpa!

I took them out of the ex-pen (babies can squeeze thru) and now they are all together in a giant dog crate. Isn't it wonderful how the dog hobby and the chicken hobby can share equipment!

I use my ex-pen as a brooder, I put a hard paddling pool in the ex-pen, wrap cardboard around the paddling pool put a pole across the top of the ex-pen, and hang the heat lamp on the pole, put an old election sign on top to keep the heat in. Worked for the puppies when I showed dogs,(minus the cardboard& election sign), so I figured it would work for chicks, I did this with turkey poults too. My adult turkeys sleep in a #5 dog crate, and I transport chickens in a small crate.

9New Cochin Chicks!  Empty Re: New Cochin Chicks! Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

That Brahma sure is a great mama! She poops in one corner and I can easily remove the mess. She is not panicky when I put my hand in.

There is nothing sweeter than seeing a chick dive into mom's soft feathers!

Sue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum