Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Botany of Desire - Documentary

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Botany of Desire - Documentary Empty The Botany of Desire - Documentary Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just watched the first half of this documentary and can't wait to see the rest. It focuses on 4 plants (apple, tulip, marijuana, and potato) and how they have exploited us to spread themselves farther than most plants could ever hope.

I had never really thought of it that way before but its true. Basically, we are a transport device. By being able to appeal to us, the plant gets carried around the world to colonize new areas.

But it can even apply to the animals. Our species is domestication crazy. Go to any part of the planet and we have trid domesticating the local wildlife (Russia experimented with moose for example). Some animals (like chickens) were capable of adapting to the opportunity and have seen far greater success than their relatives back home.

and we thought that we were the ones calling the shots.

2The Botany of Desire - Documentary Empty Re: The Botany of Desire - Documentary Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Quite true. And then there are the ones that exploit us that we DON'T want - little weedy things that stick to our clothes and camping gear and make us carry them to colonise new areas.

To be honest, I can't really see the plight of the chicken, in general, as any great "success" in any but evolutionary terms.

3The Botany of Desire - Documentary Empty Re: The Botany of Desire - Documentary Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, that's the success I was referring to. Every gene's one goal being to replicate itself into the next generation as many times as possible. In those terms the chicken has us beat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum