Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buckeyes are coming!!

+3
heda gobbler
la-chicken
CynthiaM
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:03 am

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

la- chicken, will you be selling Buckeye  hatching eggs in the future? Everything is on hold here because of the flu outbreak in Ontario, but hopefully things will quiet down soon.

27Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:24 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The chipmunk chick is questionable. Heda says they sometimes hatch with chipmunk patterning. I think this may be due to their recent development as a breed and the breeds used to create Buckeyes.

The variations in buff chick color seem common in brown birds. When I hatched Partridge Chanties I found there was a huge variation in color of the chicks, but the adults were all similar.

As for the little chipmunk guy...I hatched Cornish, Houdans and Crevecoeurs with the Buckeyes. I suspect that little guy is a dark Cornish bantam. He is much smaller.

Tonight I shall check and cull for duck feet....but I don't think I have any!

28Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:56 am

la-chicken

Derbyshire- I am pretty sure I will sell eggs BUT not until this time next year.
First need to hatch out, grow out and cull back hard.
I will put you down on my make contact list.

I so understand the AI thing. In the back of my mind I wonder if this will all begin again in the Fall. I hope not.

Keep us posted with pictures!

29Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

la-chicken I sure will keep you posted! thanks for putting me on your list, I'll be ordering as soon as you are ready! I think I will not be getting anything else in this year. there's a third farm infected now, confirmed today, Thankfully (well not thankfully, it's all horrible) it's inside the 10 km exclusion zone. We are well away from that, but I am still worried and I'm stocking up on Virkon.

30Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

Schipperkesue do the really pale yellow chicks grow up to be nice dark red buckeyes too? Is there a lot of colour variability in this breed? I've read that the hens get lighter as they age. I plan to keep a photo record of each chick along with weight at different times, dates for feathering, and first egg laying date--- ? maybe some others- any suggestions for records that I should be keeping?

31Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:42 am

Bob G

Derbyshire , my number 1 thing for selection is fast growth ,no matter what breed I lean towards choosing breeders from the fastest maturing chicks.

32Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:04 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good advice BobG
I have never had the Breed But I hear they are a Great Breed

33Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:16 am

la-chicken

Just did a fast weigh of all the 10-11 week old. (32)
What a range of weight difference. 2.5 pounds to 1.4.
Making the average 1.6 pounds. Looks like only 25% have great weight gains.

In 5 weeks I am going to separate based on weight first. Then in 10 weeks cull again for SOP standards. And I know in all reality I will most likely only will be keeping 10% for first and secondary breeding pens.

34Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:01 am

Bob G

LA, mark the biggest and keep good records , one of the biggest mistakes breeders make is not choosing from the fast maturing chicks . If you want a good healthy flock for years too come always breed from the birds with quick growth and good type.

35Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:10 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very helpful Bob G. Buckeyes are getting too small I think to be a useful meat bird.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

36Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 am

la-chicken

Thanks!
That is the plan!
Big Healthy Buckeyes! Big Healthy Dark Buckeyes!

37Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

So BoB G,  select for fast growth even if you want the best  layers? La-chicken, can you tell the difference between the pullets and cockerels at 11 weeks?  Are the heavier ones the boys?

38Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:15 pm

la-chicken

Derbeyshire:  You want fast growth even if you just want egg production.
Once they lay the first egg…growth stops.  You want large bodies to produce bigger eggs.

When I was taking weights I was not looking at  the sex to much.  Yes, the general rule is the Cockerals will be heavier.

But, you really need to look at the head.  The head is the central area for everything.  Nice  wide large head is the preference generally larger body, heavier weight.  What I have learned is cull narrow heads…makes a narrow body…smaller eggs.

I went out to check on my birds this morning and found 3 chicks outside.  They were just fine considering we had wet snow and rain thru out the night.  These chicks ARE cold hardy!  I was very pleased they since they were locked out of the coop.  My mistake!

Last edited by la-chicken on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

39Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shipperkesue, that chipmunk marked one is not a buckeye, it is another breed, smiling that big smile.  I have never seen one hatch that looked like that, maybe there is, but I don't think so.  Here's a thread that shows some just hatched buckeyes, they are the orange coloured ones, the others are cochins.  Do a search for buckeyes on our forum, and you will see lots of threads, look for mine, there might be some good pictures on the posts.  This is the one with the babes.....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Last edited by CynthiaM on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added an enter command)

40Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:49 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

So you can't cull at 11 weeks - or you'd be left with only cockerels! But I guess tag those with the top weights.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

41Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:10 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia, I knew he looked a little out of place! He is a dark Cornish bantam. Along with his Houdan and Crevecoeur friends he looks lost in the mass of buff.

42Buckeyes are coming!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Buckeyes are coming!! Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

The ALBC has a few very useful publications on selecting for egg laying/meat :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum