Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buckeyes laying chicken eggs

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Empty Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:00 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Laughing

:veryfunny:

Well, isn't it? Smiling again. My buckeyes are not yet one year old, they will be on October 1. The gals have been laying for several months yet. Guess what. Since they have began to lay, they have not stopped. Sounds silly? Well, to me it is. When I say that they have not stopped laying, what I mean is, there has not been a day since the onset of egg production that they haven't. I honestly have never seen this before. I am serious. They lay an egg each, every single day. I think they are going to be top producers, like the Australorpes evidently are. I even read that an Australorpe had laid 366 eggs in a year, smiling. Somewhere in those cobwebs of my mind.

Anyways, Buckeye owners. Is this breed of chicken an exceptionally good layer, consistently laying every day? I find most of my hens would lay on average 5 days out of 7 days of the week, sometimes a little less, but not every single day. And I would venture to say that the eggs are a pretty decent size too. Not as big as the buff Orpingtons, but a good size for sure.

Calling all Buckeye owners. Tell me of your experience with these birds laying so well. Do they continue through the winter as well? The buff Orpingtons never seemed to care a hoot about the below zero weather and kept pumping out big eggs all winter long....have a beautiful, most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

2Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Empty Re: Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cute post title, hehe.

And wow, your Buckeyes are egg laying machines! cheers Sounds like the Australorp breed might have some competition. Razz

3Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Empty Re: Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well? No one has buckeyes, smiling that big smile. I wanna hear about the breed and how it compares to laying with other breeds. Someone? Anyone? Have that wonderful day, happiness, CynthiaM.

4Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Empty Re: Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

Hi CynthiaM
For a heavy dual purpose bird, Buckeyes are very good layers. I don't really keep track of how many eggs I get from my Buckeyes but I do know that most often they are the ones who lay early in the morning so I can't always catch them in the act, When they are in the breeding pens I get an average of 3-4 eggs a day from the 5 hens I had in this year. One thing I like about the Buckeyes laying is that they are not so tempermental like my Chanteclers who once they are moved stop laying, the Buckeyes just keep pumping them out.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

5Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Empty Re: Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well""""" Where is the picture of the eggs? There was a day that Cindy accompanied almost every post with a picture. Have that beautiful day . Teasing is so much fun when you are not the victim. lol!

6Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Empty Re: Buckeyes laying chicken eggs Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dan Smith wrote:Well""""" Where is the picture of the eggs? There was a day that Cindy accompanied almost every post with a picture. Have that beautiful day . Teasing is so much fun when you are not the victim. lol!

Dan, you are still a brat!!! Honestly, do you wanna see what chicken eggs look like, yes, teasing is so much fun when not the victim, Razz (Cindi with an "i") by the way, smiling that big smile.

I have the fortunateness of having the buckeyes only in with two barred rocks, so I can see the different eggs, they are definitely a shape of their own, smiling again. Buckeye eggs are quite pointy on the pointy end, perhaps that will change, but seems pretty consistent and they look pointy identical. Razz They are still laying every day, haven't stopped and yes, Chantecler eh, they are early layers for sure, usually done by about 10:00 AM. My other birds are little more late morning layers, wish they all laid before I even let them out. Have that wonderful day, happiness, CynthiaM.

I think that I will mark the days that they do NOT lay an egg, that would make more sense. I am going to track these girls and see if they lay 365 days a year bounce

Last edited by CynthiaM on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a thought)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum