Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

9 hens no eggs.

+2
farmerrick
bcboy
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

19 hens no eggs.  Empty 9 hens no eggs. Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:14 am

Steelhead

New Here

Hey all,
I'm new to this Forum and desperately need advice. I have 9 hens. 4 road island, 3 barred rock, 1 Americana, and 1 blonde heritage type. Also 1 rooster.
I realize it's winter but I am getting one or 2 eggs every 2-3 days out of nine hens. They have lots of food, water and seem realativily happy.
I am feeding laying pellets and some scratch. Not sure what else I'm not doing or should be doing.
Anyone have any advice for me? Thank you.
I'm on vancouver island so it's not a major cold winter or anything. Thanks again.

29 hens no eggs.  Empty Re: 9 hens no eggs. Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:24 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

is the water freezing?

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

39 hens no eggs.  Empty 9 hens no eggs Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:17 pm

farmerrick

Are you supplementing light?

49 hens no eggs.  Empty Re: 9 hens no eggs. Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:44 am

Steelhead

New Here

No light, I thaw the water daily. I will be supplementing with light this weekend.

59 hens no eggs.  Empty Re: 9 hens no eggs. Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:42 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Production will slow down in the winter. Do you have lights on? Chickens need at least 14 hours of light in their retinas a day.

There are charts on various poultry sites that give you the average number of eggs a hen will lay per year. The Exceptional layers may lay up to 300 per year, the good up to 250, etc. They won't lay everyday.

The very best layers are Isa Browns and Leghorns, they will lay almost everyday, but still need to go through their cycle.

69 hens no eggs.  Empty Re: 9 hens no eggs. Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think adding some light will really help. Our girls took an extended break until we supplemented light for them. Doesn't have to be much, a good rule of thumb is enough light to read a news paper for a minimum of 14 hours a day. We don't run the lights for 14 hours....just a few extra hours morning and night, timers are great for that!

79 hens no eggs.  Empty Re: 9 hens no eggs. Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

My cochins don't lay from their molt in the late fall, about October to January then start up again. My buff orpingtons molt in the fall, all at differing times, stop for awhile and then begin laying again, really well, about November. I have a hybrid called a Cooper that molts and then lays again right away. I have 4 hatchery stocking laying machine barred Plymouth rocks that molt and then lay again, so got lots of eggs happening. These are good winter layers, orpington, Coopers and barred rocks. I do supply supplementary lighting from about middle of September til the middle of March. Lights come on at 3:00 AM and turn off at 6 PM. I haven't tried without supplemental lighting, so don't really know if it makes a difference or not. I think temperature is more the key to happy hens, smiling that big smile. I like to raise spring chicks to come into lay for the fall so I have eggs from young gals coming, no molting in the fall, so lots of fall eggs. Think your birds are just taking a break. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

89 hens no eggs.  Empty Re: 9 hens no eggs. Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Steelhead

New Here

Thank you all for the fantasitic information. Wow. Super helpful, knowledge is power :-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum