Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

goose nest question

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1goose nest question Empty goose nest question Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:00 pm

vic's chicks

One of our geese is finally nesting in the goose house in a nest box. I can hear her eggs rolling around on the plywood. Should we have put something in the bottom to cushion them? There is tons of straw in there but she scrapes it all away when she lays.

2goose nest question Empty Re: goose nest question Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:40 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is the straw still in the house or did she kick it all out? As long as there is some I wouldn't worry too much. If she goes out for a break you could try putting more in.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3goose nest question Empty Re: goose nest question Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:44 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

A bit if carpet on the floor of the box might control the rolling.

4goose nest question Empty Re: goose nest question Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:14 pm

vic's chicks

There is plenty of straw. She started to sit yesterday but when I looked in on her today she wasn't on all the eggs . I think the nest box may be too big. We made it about 24 x30 thinking bigger was better but maybe that doesn't work well. I am going to try to catch her off today and put some rocks or something in to fill the extra space. This is her first time so maybe she just needs time to get it right. If I interfere will she abandon it altogether?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum