Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Its Twins!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Its Twins! Empty Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:20 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This morning just after three we had twin kids! The goat kind, not the human kind. Totally not the mom I had my eye on for the past few days, but the one I had ranked fourth in line of readiness!

I went out for my check just before three ( I had noticed discharge at 9) and she was talking, restless and more discharge. I ran to the house to get my supplies and some hot chocolate and five minutes later walked in to find the first kids feet and nose out. In less than five minutes the second was there!

But it is soo cold. At least -20 and it's three hours later and they have not eaten. Should I worry yet? Mom and both babies are shivering under the heat lamp. She's a first time mom.

2Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats on the kids! A lot of times the one you have your eye on are not the ones that go...I have a ewe here that is the same way, still no lambs from her but 2 others have lambed.
I always watch to make sure the babies drink within the first hour or two. It will warm them up and also gets the much needed colostrum into them. Sometimes first moms need a bit of help to let them drink, if mom is comfortable with you touching her then it would be ok to help for sure. Make sure the plugs are out of the teats so the kids are actually getting milk when they drink.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:17 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So I should start worrying a bit then. It's been four hours, but they are stronger and more mobile just in the last 1/2 hr. They want to nurse, but mom wants to lay down. She is not crazy about me right now, but I did manage to milk none side a bit and got some out. When they really get back there looking she lifts one back leg like she wants to know it hem away...

4Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you can milk her then bottle them. Or put a halter on her so she will stand still. Are you certain they haven't drank on their own?

5Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:23 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I saw one drinking, not the other. I brought the one that did not drink in just now. I have cow colostrum. I am going to try to give himself some after I get him good and warm. I don't think she would let me milk her right now...

6Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The other one is still shivery and so is mom. They have two heat lamps now

7Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shivering is ok, that is how a body warms itself up. As long as babies are dry they should be ok, mom you could give warm water with a bit of molasses to which would help get her calories and warm her up.

8Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:14 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, mom has had a little grain, her water and molasses and some hat. I brought the kids inside one at a time wrapped in the heating pad by the fireplace for a short while. The boy, who I never saw nurse, had 2 oz and the girl did not want any. That made a big difference. Just a good bit of warm fired them right up!

9Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 am

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

how did your doe and kids make out DCChick?

10Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:32 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Those first kids are doing great except that I think they froze their ears. I need to come up with kid ear muffs for next year.

I have 10 kids now in five sets of twins. This afternoon the doe I had been treating for pneumonia all weekend kidded, but has mastitis so the babies are with her, but on the bottle. Hopefully I can clear that up.

If anyone has any suggestion so n that I'd love to hear them. Maybe I should start at bread in the advice a needed area....

11Its Twins! Empty Re: Its Twins! Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:33 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Those first kids are doing great except that I think they froze their ears. I need to come up with kid ear muffs for next year.

I have 10 kids now in five sets of twins. This afternoon the doe I had been treating for pneumonia all weekend kidded, but has mastitis so the babies are with her, but on the bottle. Hopefully I can clear that up.

If anyone has any suggestion on that I'd love to hear them. Maybe I should start at bread in the advice a needed area....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum